Sanford Collection

Selected Items in the Sanford Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

The Famous Clock in Downtown Sanford
Sailor walking by the historic clock in Downtown Sanford, Florida. At the time that the photograph was taken, the clock was located at the intersection of West First Street and South Park Avenue.

the clock was originally purchased for the First…

Honorable Forrest Lake
Newspaper article about and portrait of businessman and politician, Forrest Lake around 1910. Forrest Lake first arrived in Sanford, Florida in the 1880s. Lake was known as a local politician and later a member of state government. One of his most…

PICO Hotel
PICO Hotel, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida, was built in 1887 for Henry Bradley Plant, President of the Plant Investment Company (PICO). The onion-shaped dome located on the southwest corner of the roof resembled a Turkish…

Masonic Lodge #62
View of the Sanford Masonic Lodge #62, located at 212 North Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Sanford established its own Masonic Lodge in 1872 and is one of the oldest in Florida. The building was designed by renowned local architect Elton J.…

First National Bank No. 1
View of the First National Bank No. 1, located at 101 West First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was originally constructed in 1883 by Lyman Bank and had a brick facade. In 1887, the bank switched hands and became the First National Bank.…

DeForest Block
The DeForest Block, located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed in 1887 by Henry L. DeForest as a general store. During that same year, Downtown Sanford along First Street was devastated by a fire that started…

Hotchkiss Block, 2010
The Hotchkiss Block, located at 213 East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2010. The block was named after Frederick Hotchkiss and constructed in the Romanesque Revival style in 1887. The previous brick building erected at this location was…

First National Bank No. 2
Former First National Bank No. 2 , located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. Also known as Sanford's first skyscraper, the building was designed by Mowbray & Uffinger of New York. Construction began in 1922 using steel, limestone, brick,…

Henry B. Lord Building
The Henry B. Lord building, located at 112 South Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida. From its completion in 1895 until 1992, the building was occupied by multiple jewelers. Henry B. Lord established Sanford's oldest jewelry store when he opened H. B.…

PICO Block
View of the former PICO Block from the intersection of North Oak Avenue and West Commercial Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed and opened by the Plant Investment Company (PICO) in 1887 to house the company's local offices. PICO…

Brumley-Puleston Building
View of the former Brumley-Puleston Building, located at 100 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. Doctors L. A. Brumley and Samuel Puleston commissioned famed builder George A. Fuller to construct the building. Construction began in 1922 and…

Alberta Miller
Alberta Miller, the mother of Algerine Miller. Alberta and her husband, Moddie Miller, purchased property in Sanford's Pine Level Subdivision from Frank L. and Minnie D. Woodruff for $100 in 1943. As of 2013, the Miller family still retains the house…

Certificate of Birth for Moddie Miller
The birth certificate of Moddie Miller, the father of Algerine Miller. He was born in Orangeburg County, South Carolina on June 17, 1909. His parents are listed as Irvin Miller and Carrie Whaley. The birth certificate incorrectly spells Miller's…

Miller Family Warranty Deed
The property deed of the Algerine Miller's family home in Sanford, Florida. The deed shows a purchase date of September 7, 1943. Moddie and Alberta Miller purchased lots 1-5 in Block 16 of the Pine Level Subdivision for one hundred dollars from Frank…

Moddie Miller with Sister and Mother, Carrie Whaley
Algerine Miller's father Moddie Mille,r with his sister and mother, Carrie Whaley. Moddie was born in Orangeburg County, South Carolina, in 1909. He later moved to Sanford and purchased property with his wife Alberta in 1943. They bought lots 1-5 in…

Oral History of Algerine Miller
Oral history of Algerine Miller, interviewed by Autumn Reisz on March 2, 2013, for the UCF Public History Center's History Harvest. In the oral history, Miller discusses how she found out about the History Harvest, the documents and photographs she…

A. E. Philips Drug Store Advertisement
Advertisement for A. E. Philips' drug store, which was established at the corner of East First Street and North Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1884. By 1892, Philips was the only druggist in Sanford, but in 1894, he handed over ownership of the…

Lucien R. Philips' Rexall Store
An advertisement for Lucien R. Philips' Rexalldrug store in 1917. The ad was published in Sanford High School's yearbook, Salmagundi. This drugstore was originally established by Lucien R. Philips' brother, A. E. Philips, at the corner of East First…

Lucien R. Philips & Company Advertisement
An advertisement for Lucien R. Philips' Rexall drugstore in 1910. The ad was published in the Industrial Edition of Sanford Chronicle, a newspaper published by The Sanford Herald. This drugstore was originally established by Lucien R. Philips'…

Tobacco and Leather
A newspaper articleon the tobacco and leather industries in Florida. The article was written by C. D. Leffler, President of the Young Men's Business League, and published by Manufacturers Record: A Weekly Southern Industrial Railroad and Financial…

Veterans Memorial Park, 2011
Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The park was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War I veterans in 1927. The park was renamed…

A. J. Peterson
A newspaper article about A. J. Peterson, a local agent for the Seaboard Oil Company and a partner in the Seminole Tire Shop in Sanford, Florida. The store was originally located at 201 North Park Avenue until it moved to the corner of West First…

Building Comparisons
A newspaper article about the building permits awarded in Sanford, Florida, in 1926. By November of that year, the annual building total was about $80,000 short of the figure for 1925, which was a record year for construction in Sanford. The first 10…

Chase and Company Packing House
A Chase & Company packing house in Sanford, Florida, 1891. One of the first vendors to lease a stall at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market, Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin…

Former Chase & Company Office, 2011
The former location of the Chase & Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The building served as Chase & Co.'s office since 1887 and its office for fire insurance beginning in 1917. The building is…

Seminole Tire Shop Advertisement

1 newspaper advertisement

Four Hundred Carloads of Stokes Celery

1 newspaper advertisement

Howard Overlin

1 newspaper article

J. C. Hutchinson

1 newspaper article

New Dialing Exchange at Southern Bell

1 black and white photograph

Robert A. Cobb

1 newspaper article

Seminole Tire Shop Advertisement

1 newspaper advertisement

Celery Shipment Loaded on Railcar
Two men loading crates of celery either onto rail car. The celery was shipped by M. Moses, who also leased two stalls at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market, on February 16, 1926, from Sanford, Florida. A. H. Moses & Son sold the celery upon…

Former Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company Office
The former office of the Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company on 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida as early as 1915. As of 2011, the building was being occupied by Betty Anne's Hair Styling. Southern Bell was originally part of the…

W. A. Patrick

1 newspaper article

Western Union: A Hive of Service

1 newspaper article

Plant System Hospital No. 1
Plant System Hospital No. 1 in 1872. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to construct a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On October 16, 1878, the South Florida Railroad…

Plant Railroad Station
A railroad station in the Plant System in 1872. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to construct a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On October 16, 1878, the South Florida…

DeBary-Baya Merchant Line Dock at Sanford Stereoscope
Sanford's Riverfront looking north during late 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. By the mid-1880s, Sanford had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River.…

Donald Houston at Belair Grove
Donald Houston at Belair Grove in Sanforrd (present-day Lake Mary), Florida, around 1891.In 1870, Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) purchased 12,547.15 square acres of land known as the Sanford Grant. Sanford established an experiment station on a…

Corner of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue
The corner of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Although the earliest type of stereoscope dates back to 1838, this stereoscope card is from a Holmes-style stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935)…

Fountain at the Intersection of East First Street and North Park Avenue
The fountain at intersection of North Park Avenue and East First Street Sanford, Florida, in 1900. The fountain used free-flowing artesian wells under the city. The Lyman Bank, pictured on the right, was the first brick building in Sanford. Located…

Horse Riding Contest Down Commercial Street
A cowboy racing on horseback along Commercial Street in Sanford, Florida. At the time that Sanford was founded, a substantial cattle industry thrived in the countryside near the new city. Cattle grazed on the prairies along the St. Johns River.…

Henry Shelton Sanford and Family at Belair Grove
Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) and family at Belair Grove in Sanford, Florida. In 1870, Sanford purchased 12,547.15 square acres of land known as the Sanford Grant. Sanford was an American diplomat, lawyer, and businessman. Born in Derby,…

Northwest Rooftop View of the Hester-Shephard Block
A rooftop view of the Hester-Shephard block, located at 109 South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The block was named after M. K. Hester and Samuel W. Shepard. The three-story building was constructed after the September 1887 fire. From 1890 to…

Old Sanford Railroad Depot
On January 10, 1880, the City of Sanford broke ground for the construction of the South Florida Railroad station on Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. President Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885) famously participated in the groundbreaking ceremony.…

W. J. Hill Store
The W. J. Hill Store in Sanford, Florida. Although the earliest type of stereoscope dates back to 1838, this stereoscope card is from a Holmes-style stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935) in 1861. The two separate images are…

The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel was located on Woodruff Block at East First Street and North Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Built in 1895, the hotel was known for Joe's Smokehouse and Silas Biggers' peanut wagon which sat out front. The Bell Café was owned by a…

Railroad Fountain During the Freeze of 1898
Several people in next to the sulfur fountain located at the park between the Plant Investment Company (PICO) office and the South Florida Railroad station, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. This photograph was taken during the…

Old Railroad Spur at South Florida Railroad Station
Old railroad spur at the South Florida Railroad station, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida, with the Plant Investment Company (PICO) office to the far left of the photograph. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in…

It Was New Era in 1886
A newspaper article about Sanford, Florida, during the year of 1913. According to the article, the Sanford community had recovered from the Great Freeze of 1886 and was thriving economically by 1913. This page also included an article on the Ford…

The South Florida Argus Advertisements (January 3, 1886)
A page of newspaper advertisements in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes advertisements for various Sanford-based businesses, including the Home Fertilizer Company, Chase and Company, and the Wigwam.The South…

F. E. Lane Wholesale and Retail Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for F. E. Lane, a wholesale and retail dealer in hardware, stoves, and other items. Lane's store was located at the corner of East…

Lyman Bank Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for the Lyman Bank, located at 101 West First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was originally constructed in 1883 by Lyman…

M. S. Brown Clothing Store Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for M. S. Brown, a clothing retailer whose business was located at Gumpert's Block in Sanford, Florida.

New Grocery Store Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for a new grocery store located in Magruder's Block, diagonally opposite of the San Leon Hotel in Sanford, Florida. The store was run…

South Florida Railroad Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement for the South Florida Railroad. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to constructed a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On October 16, 1878, the…

Trafford and Company Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for Trafford and Company, wholesale and retail dealers located at the corner of North Park Avenue and West Commercial Street in…

W. H. Fletcher Advertisement
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for W. H. Fletcher, a roofer based in Sanford, Florida.The South Florida Argus was Republican paper published by Adolphus Edwards…

South Florida Argus Advertisements (January 6, 1886)
A page of newspaper advertisements in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes advertisements for the Kissimmee Land Agency, as well as several Sanford-based businesses, including Steele & Bassinger, Scott…

South Florida Argus Vol 2., No. 15, January 6, 1886
The South Florida Argus Vol. 2, No. 15 issue for January 6, 1886. This issue included advertisements for several Sanford-based businesses, including Wilson's Collection Agency, Charles & Vandeman's drug store, the Lyman Bank, and Trafford and…

The South Florida Argus Advertisements (January 8, 1886)
A page of newspaper advertisements from The South Florida Argus issue for January 8, 1886. This issue includes advertisements for various Central Florida-based businesses, including the Florida Land and Colonization Company (FLCC), the Apopka House,…

FIRE!! The Fire Fiend's Destructive Work at Sanford
A newspaper article about a fire that occurred on August 18, 1886, in Sanford, Florida. According to the article, the fire was first discovered in the Trafford and Company hardware store, located at the corner of North Park Avenue and West Commercial…

Palmetto Avenue and First Street in Sanford, 1882
First Street between Palmetto Avenue and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. On the southeast corner of Palmetto and First is the town drug store, which also housed the post office. The two-story building to the south of the drug store is…

Michael J. Doyle's Dry Goods & Grocery Store, 1882
Michael J. Doyle's Dry Goods & Grocery Store in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Doyle was an Irish immigrant who originally settled in Volusia County prior to the American Civil War. His store was most likely located on First Street between Palmetto…

Sanford Looking Northeast from the Sanford House Hotel
This photograph was taken from the porch of the Sanford House Hotel looking northeast. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's (1823-1891) company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. The docks at Palmetto Avenue can also…

Fort Reid Building
The former building at First Street and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida, prior to the construction of the N. P. Yowell Building and Garner Woodruff Building. The building was named after Fort Reid, which was established by Colonel William S.…

Sanford Looking West from Commercial Street
This photograph was taken from Commercial Street looking West towards Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The railroad dock can be seen in the distance. When Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets…

Waterfront Park at the Sanford House Hotel
This photograph is of the waterfront on Commercial Street in Sanford, Florida. The Palm Avenue Dock is in the distance and the foreground is the park at the Sanford House Hotel. There is a century plant in the center of walkway in the park.The…

Dr. George H. Starke
Dr. George H. Starke (ca. 1899-ca.1979), an African-American physician who practiced in Sanford, Florida. Starke opened his practice in Sanford, in 1927. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Starke became one of only four African-American physicians to be…

Dr. George H. Starke at Award Ceremony
Dr. George H. Starke (ca. 1899-ca.1979) receiving an award for his work as a physician. Starke opened his practice in Sanford, Florida, in 1927. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Starke became one of only four African-American physicians to be accepted by…

Oral History of David Scott
An oral history of David Scott, conducted by Susan Holcomb on April 9, 2010. Scott was the son of Grady Scott, who served as Superintendent of the Old Folks Home, formerly located at 300 Bush Boulevard in Sanford, Florida. The property has since been…

Oral History of Grace Marie Stinecipher
An oral history of Grace Marie Stinecipher (b. 1936), conducted by Diana Dombrowski on July 13, 2010. Stinecipher was born in Sanford, Florida on September 19, 1936. In this interview, she discusses her family history, growing up in Sanford, her…

Oral History of Bette Skates, 2010
An oral history of Bette Skates, conducted by Austin Smith on July 14, 2010. As the historian of the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in Sanford, Florida, Skates discusses the history of the church and other churches in Sanford, missionaries at…

Oral History of Bette Skates
An oal history of Bette Skates, conducted by Diana Dombrowski on July 9, 2010. As the historian of the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in Sanford, Florida, Skates discusses growing up in Sanford, how Sanford has changed over time, her educational and…

The PICO Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores
The historic marker for the PICO Hotel, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed in 1887 for Henry B. Plant (1819-1899), President of the Plant Investment Company (PICO). The onion-shaped dome located on the…

First Street, Sanford Postcard
A  postcard featuring East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in the 1930s or 1940s. The Victory Bar and the Sanford Atlantic National Bank, which was located at 1010 East First Street can been seen on the left. On the right of the photograph is a…

Former Lot of Ford Motor Company Dealership
The former lot of the Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of Palmetto Avenue and Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida. The dealership was located here in the 1920s. At the time that this photograph was…

Ford Motor Company Dealership in Downtown Sanford
The Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of North Palmetto Avenue and East Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida, around 1924. The building was designed by architect Elton James Moughton. As of 2012, the…

Northwest Corner of South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street, 1924
The building on the northwest corner of South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street in Downtown Sanford, Florida. The building was designed by architect Elton James Moughton. As of 2012, the location is being used as a parking lot. The Seminole…

Northwest Corner of South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street
The parking lot on the northwest corner of South Magnolia Avenue and East Second Street in Downtown Sanford, Florida, in 2012. In the 1920s, a building designed by architect Elton James Moughton was located here.

San Lanta, 1924
The entry feature of the San Lanta subdivision, which was constructed at the corner of South Sanford Avenue and East Fourteenth Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1924.

Financiers Plan For Institution: New Sanford Bank May Be Organized
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article describes rumors about the establishment of a new bank in the old First National Bank No. 2 Building, located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida.…

St. Johns River Floods Rampant: Lake Monroe May Overflow Banks
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article describes floods occurring on the bulkheads of Lake Monroe, which is part of the St. Johns River system. The flooding was first reported by J. A. Young, who was…

Public Opinion Sought on Taxes: Sanford Citizens to Express Views on Sales Tax Plan
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article announces a meeting of the League of Municipalities, and organization composed of numerous cities in Florida, to discuss the possibility of a sales tax on luxury…

Melon is Cut by Bank Directors: Sanford Atlantic Bank Declares a Dividend
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article reports that the Sanford Atlantic National Bank had declared a dividend of $1.50 during a meeting of the board of directors held on June 17. According to the…

Map of City of Sanford and Environs, 1926
Created in October of 1926 by Sanford’s city engineer, Fred T. Williams, this surveyor's map depicts the City of Sanford, Florida, and its environs. During his tenure as city engineer from the 1920s through the early 1940s, Williams created…

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford Collection

Alternative Title

Sanford Collection

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)

Description

The present-day Sanford area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca/Joroco natives by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole Indians. In 1821, the United States acquired Florida from Spain and Americans began to settled in the state.

Camp Monroe was established in the mid-1830s to defend the area against Seminoles during the Seminole Wars. In 1836, the United States Army built a road (present-day Mellonville Avenue) to a location called "Camp Monroe," during the Second Seminole War. Following an attack on February 8, 1837, the camp was renamed "Fort Mellon," in honor of the battle's only American casualty, Captain Charles Mellon.

The town of Mellonville was founded nearby in 1842 by Daniel Stewart. When Florida became a state three years later, Mellonville became the county seat for Orange County, which was originally a portion of Mosquito County. Citrus was the first cash crop in the area and the first fruit packing plant was constructed in 1869.

In 1870, a lawyer from Connecticut by the name of Henry Shelton Sanford (1832-1891) purchased 12,548 acres of open land west of Mellonville. His vision was to make this new land a major port city, both railway and by water. Sitting on Lake Monroe, and the head of the St. Johns River, the City of Sanford earned the nickname of “The Gate City of South Florida.” Sanford became not only a transportation hub, but a leading citrus industry in Florida, and eventually globally.

The Great Fire of 1887 devastated the city, which also suffered from a statewide epidemic of yellow fever the following year. The citrus industry flourished until the Great Freezes of 1894 and 1895, causing planters to begin growing celery in 1896 as an alternative. Celery replaced citrus as the city's cash crop and Sanford was nicknamed "Celery City." In 1913, Sanford became the county seat of Seminole County, once part of Orange County. Agriculture dominated the region until Walt Disney World opened in October of 1971, effectively shifting the Central Florida economy towards tourism and residential development.

Has Part

Celery Soup: Florida’s Folk Life Play Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Churches of Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Creative Sanford, Inc. Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Georgetown Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Marie J. Francis Collection, Georgetown Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Avenue Collection, Georgetown Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Goldsboro Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Henry L. DeForest Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Ice Houses of Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Milane Theatre Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Naval Air Station Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Baseball Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Cigar Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Riverfront Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Part Of

Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Curator

Marra, Katherine
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Sanford: A Brief History." City of Sanford. http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.aspx?page=48.
The Seminole Herald. Sanford: Our First 125 Years. [Sanford, FL]: The Herald, 2002.

Collection Tree