The PICO Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores

Dublin Core

Title

The PICO Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores

Alternative Title

PICO Hotel

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Hotels--Florida
Restaurants--Florida
Retail industry

Description

The historic marker for the PICO Hotel, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed in 1887 for Henry B. Plant (1819-1899), President of the Plant Investment Company (PICO). The onion-shaped dome located on the southwest corner of the roof resembled a Turkish minaret. The dome was destroyed by a severe thunderstorm in the 1950s and was never replaced. The PICO Hotel served as the terminal hotel for a railroad and two steamship lines owned by Plant. One of the hotel's famous guests was President Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), who spent the night at the PICO Hotel during his visit to Sanford.

Source

Original historic marker, December 19, 2010.

Date Created

2010-12-19

Is Format Of

Original color digital image by Austin Smith, December 19, 2010.

Is Part Of

Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

140 KB

Medium

1 historic marker

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

PICO Hotel, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

This resource is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sammons, Sandra Wallus. The Two Henrys: Henry Plant and Henry Flagler and Their Railroads. Sarasota, Florida: Pineapple Press, Inc., 2010.
Sanford Historical Society, Inc. Sanford. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "Pico Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores - 1887." City of Sanford, Florida. 2009.
Donaldson, Mary B., Charles Hammack, and Lenore Hammack, eds. 1999. Memories of Historic Sanford: Past and Present. Sanford FL: Sanford Historic Trust.

Transcript

THE
PICO HOTEL, RESTAURANT, AND STORES

ERECTED - 1887

209 NORTH OAK AVENUE
200 NORTH PARK AVENUE

Built as a hotel in 1887 for Henry B. Plant, President of the Plant Investment Co. (PICO), the PICO Building served as a terminal hotel for the railroads and two river steamers owned by Plant that served Sanford. The architect was W.T. Cotter of Sanford and the builder was the H.M. Papworth Construction Company. It resembled another of Plant's hotels, the Tampa Bay Hotel.

The architectural style is Turkish. It was built of brick to look like a Turkish palace or mosque. The windows have horseshoe and ogee arches. A decorative bartizan tower still remains, but it's[sic] original onion shaped dome has been removed. The floor plan is rectangular with a hipped roof and a facade parapet.

Immediately adjacent to and east on Commercial Street and fronting on Park Avenue is the PICO Restaurant and Stores building, also constructed in 1887. It is a plain brick and stucco stricture whose purpose was to support to the hotel. The restaurant and stores were on the ground floor. The second floors had rooms available and functioned as a part of the hotel.

LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES - 1976

Locations

Categories