DeBary-Baya Merchant Line Dock at Sanford Stereoscope

Dublin Core

Title

DeBary-Baya Merchant Line Dock at Sanford Stereoscope

Alternative Title

DeBary-Baya Merchant Line Dock

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Steamboats--Florida

Description

Sanford's Riverfront looking north during late 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. By the mid-1880s, Sanford had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained statehood, steamboats frequented the St. Johns River carrying U.S. Army soldiers to Fort Mellon, located on the shores of Lake Monroe, to defend the area against Native Americans during the Seminole Wars. Steamboats were used at the fort and during the Battle of Camp Monroe to relocate Seminoles, explore the St. Johns River, and to distribute military forces. During the second half of the 1830s, steamboats were used to tow barges from the river to Lake Monroe in order to stimulate trade.

The first commercial steamboat was developed as the Brock Line in the early 1850s. As trade grew, various wharves and docks were built in locations such as Mellonville Avenue, Palmetto Avenue, Oak Street, and Sanford Avenue. The Debary-Baya Merchant Line began transporting passengers in 1883, which further developed the steamboat industry. The line was purchased by the Clyde Line in 1886 and remained open until 1933. The growth of railroads was the primary cause of the decline of the steamboat industry.

Source

Original 7 x 4.25 inch black and white photograph: Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Woodward Stereoscopic Company

Date Created

ca. 1880

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 7 x 4.25 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

115 KB

Medium

7 x 4.25 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by the Woodward Stereoscopic Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Woodward Stereoscopic Company and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Hazen, Kendra
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"De Berard, Ella Teague. "Steamboats in the Hyacinths". Daytona Beach, Fla: College Pub. Co, 1956.
"Steamboats." Museum of Seminole County History, Seminole County, Florida Government. http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/core/fileparse.php/3338/urlt/steamboats.pdf.
Bass, Bob. When Steamboats Reigned in Florida. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2008.
Mueller, Edward A. ""Steamboat Activity in Florida During the Second Seminole Indian War." Florida Historical Quarterly 64, no. 4 (April 1986): pp.407-431.
Robinson, Jim. "Exhibit Brings to Life 19th-century River Adventures." The Orlando Sentinel, February 7, 1993. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com\1993-02-07/news/9302060607_1_steamboats-sanford-lund.

Transcript

Woodward Stereoscopic Co.
Rochester, N.Y,

Florida Scenery.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

7 x 4.25 inches

Locations

Categories