The DeForest Block, located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida. The building was constructed in 1887 by Henry L. DeForest as a general store. During that same year, Downtown Sanford along First Street was devastated by a fire that started at a bakery. The DeForest Block is one of only a few sets of buildings that survived the fire. In 1917, the Seminole County Bank renovated the block. The building was
Original color digital images by Austin Smith, December 19, 2010.
Is Part Of
Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
2 color digital images
Originally created by Austin Smith and owned by RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Historical Society, Inc. Sanford. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents The Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." City of Sanford, Florida. 2009.
Smith, Austin. “DeForest Block.” RICHES of Central Florida accessed December 3, 2023, https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/761.