Browse Items (33 total)

  • Tags: riverfront

SC00181.jpg
Sanford's riverfront in the late 1950s. Pictured is a gasoline tank and farm, which has since been replaced by Sailpointe Apartments at 401 West Seminole Boulevard.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00173.jpg
Sanford's Riverfront from a north view during the 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was…

SC00172.jpg
Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The park was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War I veterans in 1927. The park was renamed…

SC00179.jpg
The Riverfront in Sanford, Florida. 2011. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the…

SC00166.jpg
Newspaper article about the last barge docked on the Standard Oil Terminal along Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. The terminal opened in 1931 and closed in 1969.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00164.jpg
Downtown Sanford in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00163.jpg
Downtown Sanford, Florida, in 1952. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole…

SC00162.jpg
The City of Sanford steamboat near Sanford, Florida. The steamboat was constructed by the Thompson & Clyde Shipyard in Jacksonville. On November 24, 1880, The City of Sanford was launched. The steamboat travedl between Sanford and Jacksonville…

SC00161.jpg
The City of Stanford in the 1890s, after the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was…

SC00160.jpg
The docks at Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) was an American diplomat, lawyer, and…

SC00159.jpg
The City of Sanford riverfront in the 1880s, just before the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease…

SC00158.jpg
The Veterans Memorial Park bandshell on Lake Monroe during the 1950s. Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of…

SC00024.jpg
The wharf in Lake Monroe in the 1890s. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eigth largest lake in the Orlando metropolitan area. Sanford is located on its northern shore and DeBary and Deltona…

SC00023.jpg
The bridge and palm trees on Lake Monroe in 1913. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eigth largest lake in the Orlando metropolitan area. Sanford is located on its northern shore and DeBary and…

SC00022.jpg
Sanford riverfront around 1907. The present-day Sanford area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca/Joroco natives by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole Indians. In 1821,…

SC00021.jpg
The pier and riverfront in Sanford along the St. John's River. The present-day Sanford area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca/Joroco natives by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00020.jpg
A steamship at the South Florida Railroad Company pier, which was built in 1880. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to constructed a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On…

SC00018.jpg
Photograph of the Clara steamboat on Lake Monroe in the early twentieth century. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before…

SC00017.jpg
The DeBary Merchant Line dock and the City of Jacksonville steamboat in the 19th century. The dock was bought out by the Clyde Steamboat Company in 1889. The Clyde Line was established by Thomas Clyde in 1844 and connected Philadelphia, Pennsylvania…

SC00016.jpg
Downtown Sanford in the 1940s, including Memorial Park, City Hall, and the Municipal Zoo, just after being relocated from its original location. Veterans Memorial Park in Sanford, Florida. The bandshell is part of the original park design and…

SC00015.jpg
A steamboat landing in Sanford in 1908. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained statehood, steamboats…

SC00013.jpg
Seminole Boulevard on the west edge of Sanford along Lake Monroe. Seminole Boulevard is the part of U.S. Highway 17 that runs along the coast of Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida.

U.S. Highway 17 begins in Punta Gorda, briefly runs east, and then…

SC00012.jpg
Postcard of people fishing along Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eighth largest lake in the Orlando metropolitan area. Sanford is located on its northern…

SC00011.jpg
Sanford's riverfront canal and port, which is the largest in Central Florida, on Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eigth largest lake in the Orlando…

SC00010.jpg
Postcard of the water hyacinths in Lake Monroe near Sanford. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eigth largest lake in the Orlando metropolitan area. Sanford is located on its northern shore and…

SC00009.jpg
Postcard of a steamboat and pier on the Sanford Riverfront. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained…

SC00008.jpg
The Clyde Line Steamboat Company Dock on Lake Monroe in 1887. The Clyde Steamship Company operated the pier until 1930.

The Clyde Line was established by Thomas Clyde in 1844 and connected Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with other east coast ports. In…

SC00007.jpg
Postcard of the St. John's River near Sanford. The St. Johns River is the longest river in Florida and is widely used both commercially and recreationally. The St. Johns begins in Indian River County and flows north all the way to Duval County, where…

SC00006.jpg
Cypress trees at Lake Monroe in the 1920s. Lake Monroe is a lake that is part of the St. Johns River system in Florida and is also the eigth largest lake in the Orlando metropolitan area. Sanford is located on its northern shore and DeBary and…

SC00005.jpg
A steamboat landing in Sanford in the 1870s. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained statehood, steamboats…

SC00003.jpg
The Grand Romance steamer tour boat in the 1990s. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained statehood,…

SC00002.jpg
U.S. Route 17 in Sanford, Florida, in 1958. U.S. 17 begins in Punta Gorda, briefly runs east, and then goes north along Peace River through Arcadia, Zolfo Springs, and Wauchula. The road then joins U.S. Highway 98 at Fort Meade and continues…

SC00001.jpg
The bandshell on Lake Monroe at Veterans Memorial Park in Sanford, Florida in 1949. The bandshell is part of the original park design and construction that was completed in 1925. By 1927, a flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War…