Browse Items (14 total)

  • Tags: waterfront

FSM00055.pdf
Old railroad spur at the South Florida Railroad station, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida, with the Plant Investment Company (PICO) office to the far left of the photograph. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in…

SC00181.jpg
Sanford's riverfront in the late 1950s. Pictured is a gasoline tank and farm, which has since been replaced by Sailpointe Apartments at 401 West Seminole Boulevard.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00173.jpg
Sanford's Riverfront from a north view during the 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was…

SC00172.jpg
Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The park was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War I veterans in 1927. The park was renamed…

SC00179.jpg
The Riverfront in Sanford, Florida. 2011. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the…

SC00166.jpg
Newspaper article about the last barge docked on the Standard Oil Terminal along Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. The terminal opened in 1931 and closed in 1969.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00164.jpg
Downtown Sanford in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00163.jpg
Downtown Sanford, Florida, in 1952. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole…

SC00161.jpg
The City of Stanford in the 1890s, after the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was…

SC00160.jpg
The docks at Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) was an American diplomat, lawyer, and…

SC00159.jpg
The City of Sanford riverfront in the 1880s, just before the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease…

SC00158.jpg
The Veterans Memorial Park bandshell on Lake Monroe during the 1950s. Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of…

SC00021.jpg
The pier and riverfront in Sanford along the St. John's River. The present-day Sanford area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca/Joroco natives by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00009.jpg
Postcard of a steamboat and pier on the Sanford Riverfront. By the mid-1880s, Sanford, Florida had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River. Even before Florida obtained…