North From Verandah

Dublin Core

Title

North From Verandah

Alternative Title

Sanford's Riverfront

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Lake Monroe (Seminole County and Volusia County, Fla.)
Steamboats--Florida

Description

Sanford's Riverfront from a north view during the 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole tribe.

In 1821, the United States acquired Florida from Spain and Americans began to settled in the state. Camp Monroe was established in the mid-1830s to defend the area against Seminoles during the Seminole Wars. Following an attack on February 8, 1837, the camp was renamed Fort Mellon in honor of the battle's only American casualty, Captain Charles Mellon. The Town of Mellonville was founded nearby in 1842 by Daniel Stewart. When Florida became a state three years later, Mellonville became the county seat for Orange County, which was originally a portion of Mosquito County. Citrus was the first cash crop in the area and the first fruit packing plant was constructed in 1869.

In 1870, Henry Shelton Sanford purchased over 12,000 acres of land west of Mellonville to form the community of Sanford. which he called "The Gateway City to South Florida." Sanford was incorporated in 1877 and absorbed Mellonville in 1883. The Great Fire of 1887 devastated the city, which also suffered from a statewide epidemic of yellow fever the following year. The citrus industry flourished until the Great Freezes of 1894 and 1895, causing planters to begin growing celery in 1896 as an alternative. Celery replaced citrus as the city's cash crop and Sanford was nicknamed "The Celery City." In 1913, Sanford became the county seat of Seminole County, once part of Orange County. Agriculture dominated the region until Walt Disney World opened in October of 1971, effectively shifting the Central Florida economy towards tourism and residential development. In 2003, Sanford began the redevelopment of the waterfront with the RiverWalk Project to revitalize the city's riverfront.

Source

Digital reproduction of original 5 x 8 inch black and white graph on Florida Memory Project: "North From Verandah." Reference Collection, shelf number 15174, call number RC07050, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1800-1899

Has Format

Original 5 x 8 inch black and white photograph: Reference Collection, shelf number 15174, call number RC07050, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 5 x 8 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Reference Collection, shelf number 15174, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.
Sanford Riverfront Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

32 KB

Medium

5 x 8 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the State Library and Archives of Florida and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
The Seminole Herald. Sanford: Our First 125 Years. [Sanford, FL]: The Herald, 2002.
"Sanford: A Brief History." City of Sanford. http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.aspx?page=48.

Transcript

North from Verandah

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

5 x 8 inche

Locations

Categories