Browse Items (50 total)

  • Tags: railroad stations

RRD00059.pdf
An oral history interview of Warren McFarland, a telegrapher, train dispatcher, railroad station agent, grocery clerk, Railroad Safety and Service Agent, Assistant Regional Director and Regional Manager for the Interstate Commerce Commission, and…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

RRD00058.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South Florida Railroad it was…

RRD00055.jpg
A map of St. Lucie County, Florida, in 1907. Present-day St. Lucie County was originally inhabited by the Ais tribe. During the early 19th century, Spain issued a 2,000 land grant to James Hutchinson, but the area remained largely uninhabited. During…

RRD00054.jpg
A pineapple packing house in Fort Pierce, Florida, located long the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) siding. The Fort Pierce train station was located along the tracks that now run through Downtown Fort Pierce. Henry Flagler (1830-1913) expanded his…

RRD00053.jpg
St. Lucie County Regional History Center, located at 414 Seaway Drive in Fort Pierce, Florida, in 2014. The history center is located in what was once the Fort Pierce train station.The Fort Pierce train station was located along the tracks that now…

RRD00052.jpg
Avenue A in Fort Pierce, Florida. To the left is the first Fort Pierce City Hall, with the Hendry House and First Baptist Church of Fort Pierce just behind it. To the right of the church and across the street is the East Coast Lumber and Supply…

RRD00051.jpg
The Fort Pierce Florida East Coast Depot in the 1940s. The Fort Pierce train station was located along the tracks that now run through Downtown Fort Pierce. Henry Flagler (1830-1913) expanded his Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) down the Florida east…

RRD00050.jpg
The Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) Fort Pierce Station in Fort Pierce, Florida, in the 1900s. The Fort Pierce train station was located along the tracks that now run through downtown Fort Pierce, Florida. Henry Flagler expanded his railroad down…

RRD00049.jpg
The Ocala Union Station, located at 531 Northeast First Avenue in Ocala, Florida, in the 1920s. Built in 1917, the Ocala Union Station was not the pioneer depot for Ocala's booming phosphorus mining, citrus cultivation, and Silver Springs tourism.…

RRD00048.jpg
A sign for the Community Redevelopment Area Design Studio, located at the Ocala Union Station at 531 Northeast First Avenue in Ocala, Florida, in 2014. The Office of Long Term Planning & Sustainability in Ocala has designated Ocala Union Station…

RRD00047.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2012. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00046.jpg
A postcard of Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00042.jpg
The Ocala Union Station, located at 531 Northeast First Avenue in Ocala, Florida, in 2014. Built in 1917, the Ocala Union Station was not the pioneer depot for Ocala's booming phosphorus mining, citrus cultivation, and Silver Springs tourism. Ocala…

RRD00041.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00038.jpg
The Port Orange Train Station in Port Orange, Florida. Originally built in 1894, the Port Orange Train Station was a part of the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) and was used as a flag stop for freight and passenger transport as late as 1955. In…

RRD00037.JPG
The U.S. National Register of Historic Places dedication marker for the Lake Wales Train Depot. The Lake Wales Train Depot, which is currently the Lake Wales Depot Museum, was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, along with several…

RRD00036.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special at the Lake Wales Train Depot. The coming of the railroad to Lake Wales, Florida, brought with it a connection to civilization. Prior to the coming of the railroad there was very little if any development in the area. The…

RRD00035.jpg
The Mount Dora Train Station, located at 341 North Alexander Street in Mount Dora, Florida. 1886 was when the first railroad stopped in Mount Dora, connecting Jacksonville to Tampa. The Mount Dora Depot cost $8,223 to build. The last passenger train…

RRD00034.jpg
The Seaboard Air Line (SAL) Depot, located at 3 North Museum Avenue in Avon Park, Florida, was built in 1924 after the company acquired the right of way in Avon Park. The station primarily carried freight, including consumer goods shipped to Avon…

RRD00033.jpg
The Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) Train Station was first built in 1912 in Avon Park, Florida. The station primarily carried freight, including consumer goods shipped to Avon Park and citrus that was exported from the town. It also carried passengers,…

RRD00032.jpg
The Seaboard Air Line Railroad (SAL) Depot, located at 3 North Museum Avenue in Avon Park, Florida, was built in 1924 after the company acquired the right of way in Avon Park. The station primarily carried freight, including consumer goods shipped to…

RRD00028.jpg
The Amtrak Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (SCL) Station, located at 1400 Sligh Boulevard in Orlando, Florida, in 2014. This station was constructed in 1926 at a cost of $500,000 and was originally part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL).…

RRD00027.jpg
The dedication of the Lake Wales Depot Museum, located at 325 South Scenic Highway, was part of a project in Lake Wales, Florida, to commemorate the Bicentennial of the United States on July 4, 1976. The museum still exists today and houses a variety…

RRD00025.jpg
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL) passenger cars at the depot in Fort Pierce, Florida, during the 1950s. The Fort Pierce train station was located along the tracks that now run through Downtown Fort Pierce.Henry Flagler (1830-1913) expanded his…

RRD00021.jpg
The Punta Gorda Train Depot, also known as the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot, was erected in Punta Gorda, Florida, in 1928. The depot was built with in Spanish style that was popular at the time and resembles a Mediterranean resort. It was built…

RRD00020.jpg
The U.S. National Register of Historic Places plaque at the Mount Dora Train Station, located at 341 North Alexander Street in Mount Dora, Florida, in 2007. 1886 was when the first railroad stopped in Mount Dora, connecting Jacksonville to Tampa. The…

RRD00019.jpg
The Mount Dora Train Station, located at 341 North Alexander Street in Mount Dora, Florida, in 1920. 1886 was when the first railroad stopped in Mount Dora, connecting Jacksonville to Tampa. The Mount Dora Depot cost $8,223 to build. The last…

RRD00018.jpg
The last passenger train at the Mount Dora Train Station, located at 341 North Alexander Street in Mount Dora, Florida, in 2012. 1886 was when the first railroad stopped in Mount Dora, connecting Jacksonville to Tampa. The Mount Dora Depot cost…

RRD00017.jpg
The Mount Dora Train Station, located at 341 North Alexander Street in Mount Dora, Florida, in 1915. 1886 was when the first railroad stopped in Mount Dora, connecting Jacksonville to Tampa. The Mount Dora Depot cost $8,223 to build. The last…

RRD00016.JPG
The Lake Wales Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot, located at 325 South Scenic Highway, in Lake Wales, Florida, in 2014. The depot was established in 1928 by the R. W. Burrows Construction Company. It was the second station built in Lake Wales since…

RRD00013.JPG
The Kissimmee Railroad Station, located at 111 Dakin Avenue, in Kissimmee, Florida, in 2014. This train station was first created in 1882 by the South Florida Railroad Company. It originally served as a means for the people of Allendale (present-day…

RRD00012.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00011.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, in the 1970s. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in 1883 from the South…

RRD00010.jpg
The Old Orlando Railroad Depot, located at 127 West Church Street in Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1881 and 1890. The station was first constructed in 1880 connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the railroad was bought up by the Plant System in…

RRD00006.jpg
The Oviedo Depot, originally located at 520 South Lake Jessup Avenue in Oviedo, Florida, in 2014. The depot was built in 1886 as part of Henry B. Plant's (1819-1899) railroad system. The Plant System ran from Jacksonville to Key West. The design of…

RRD00004.jpg
The Apopka Seaboard Air Line Railway Station, located at 36 East Station Street in Apopka, Florida, in 1988. The depot was built in 1918 after a tornado destroyed the original brick building. It operated until the 1960s as a train station, primarily…

RRD00001.jpg
The Apopka Seaboard Air Line Railway Station, located at 36 East Station Street in Apopka, Florida, in 2014. The depot was built in 1918 after a tornado destroyed the original brick building. It operated until the 1960s as a train station, primarily…

OC00202.jpg
A postcard featuring the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) Railway Company station, located at 127 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 20th century. The station was first constructed in 1880, connecting Orlando to Sanford. After the…

NSB00001.jpg
A color postcard featuring the railway station in New Smyrna, Florida, in the 1890s. Although the postcard does not specify, this railway station was likely the Jacksonville, St. Augustine, and Indian River Railway Company (later part of the Florida…

OC00136.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Railroad Station, located at 76 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1989. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883. That building was…

OC00178.jpg
Rosie O'Grady's Good Time Emporium in 1992. The siblings pictured in the photograph are, from left to right: David Cepero (b. 1978), Dennis Cepero (b. 1986), Laura Lynn Cepero (b. 1987), and Alicia Lynn Cepero (b. 1975). Gertrude Welsh, the…

OC00137.jpg
A street performer at Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in March of 1998. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL). The…

OC00134.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in January of 1989. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL). The depot was designed by…

OC00133.jpg
Gertrude Welsh at Rosie O'Grady's Good Time Emporium in 1989. Rosie O'Grady's was a restaurant that was once part of the Church Street Station entertainment complex in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot…

OC00132.jpg
Gertrude Welsh and Lynn Lenahan at Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in January of 1989. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad…

FSM00055.pdf
Old railroad spur at the South Florida Railroad station, located at 209 North Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida, with the Plant Investment Company (PICO) office to the far left of the photograph. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in…

FSM00026.pdf
On January 10, 1880, the City of Sanford broke ground for the construction of the South Florida Railroad station on Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida. President Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885) famously participated in the groundbreaking ceremony.…

WGHF00003.jpg
The Central Florida Railroad Museum, located at 101 South Boyd Street in Winter Garden, Florida. Originally the Tavares and Gulf Railroad Depot, the building was constructed in 1913 at a cost of $1,765. The western portion, built of Florida sand…

FSM00053.pdf
A railroad station in the Plant System in 1872. The Lake Monroe and Orlando Railroad was organized in 1875. The charter planned to construct a railroad from the St. Johns River port in Sanford south to Orlando. On October 16, 1878, the South Florida…