Interior of Church Street Station, 1989

Dublin Core

Title

Interior of Church Street Station, 1989

Alternative Title

Church Street Station

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Railroads--Florida

Description

Gertrude Welsh and Lynn Lenahan at Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in January of 1989. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL). The depot was designed by T. B. Cotter in the Queen Anne/Eclectic Victorian style and constructed by Henry B. Plant (1819-1899). The building was demolished around 1890 and the current Church Street Station Depot was constructed by the South Florida Railroad on the same lot. The site also served the Tavares, Orlando and Atlantic Railroad, and the Orlando and Winter Park Railway. In 1926, the Orlando Health/Amtrak station took over passenger operations, but Church Street Station continued to serve as a ticket outlet and freight station until 1972.

In 1973, a Dixieland-theme entertainment complex was established between the railroad tracks and Garland Avenue in seven vacant buildings for $22 million. The depot itself houses retail shops. The depot was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1978. In 1988, the complex was expanded to include the Church Street Exchange and the Church Street Market. The development was led by Bob Snow and Steve Fuller and sold in 1989 for $61 million. The complex peaked in the 1980s, drawing approximately 1.7 million visitors a year. Due to failure to compete with major theme parks, visitor attendance dwindled and the complex was sold in 2001, only to close shortly after.

Creator

Cepero, Nancy Lynn

Source

Original color photograph by Nancy Lynn Cepero by Nancy Lynn Cepero, 1989: Private Collection of Nancy Lynn Cepero.

Date Created

ca. 1989-01

Contributor

Cepero, Nancy Lynn

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original color photograph by Nancy Lynn Cepero, 1989.

Is Part Of

Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

156 KB

Medium

1 color photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Church Street Station, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Nancy Lynn Cepero.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Nancy Lynn Cepero and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Antequino, Stephanie Gaub, and Tana Mosier Porter. Lost Orlando. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Pub, 2012.
"Downtown Orlando Historic District Walking Tour." City of Orlando. http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
Mulligan, Michael. Railroad Depots of Central Florida. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2008.

Transcript

ROSIE O'GRADY'S
GOOD TIME EMPORIUM
LILI MARLENE'S
APPLE ANNIE'S
PHINEAS PHOGG'S
LM PRIVATE
PARLOUR ROOMS
ROSIE O'GRADY'S
FLYING CIRCUS

WELCOME
TO
CHURCH STREET STATION
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

CHEYENNE SALOON
ORCHID GARDEN
BUMBY EMPORIUM
THE MORNING GLORY
CRACKERS
THE WINE CELLAR
CHURCH ST. DEPOT
BUFFALO TRADING
COMPANY

Locations

Categories