Clyde Line Pier

Dublin Core

Title

Clyde Line Pier

Alternative Title

Clyde Line Pier

Subject

Waterfront Districts
Steamboat Lines
Steamboats--Florida--St. Johns River--History
Lake Monroe (Seminole County and Volusia County, Fla.)
Water transportation
Postcards--Florida--Saint Johns River
Clyde Steamship Company

Description

The Clyde Line Steamboat Company Dock on Lake Monroe in 1887. The Clyde Steamship Company operated the pier until 1930.

The Clyde Line was established by Thomas Clyde in 1844 and connected Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with other east coast ports. In 1872, the headquarters moved to New York and began connections with the Caribbean Islands. Charles W. Morse's Consolidated Steamship Lines purchased the company in 1907, only to collapse the following year. In 1911, the Atlantic, Gulf & West Indies Steamship Lines began operating Clyde Line, which continued to be used under that name until 1932 when the line was combined with the Mallory Line to form the Clyde-Mallory Line. The Clyde-Mallory Line operated until 1949 when it was sold to the Bull Line.

Abstract

The Clyde Line steamboat company's dock went far out into Lake Monroe at the end of Palmetto Avenue. Water hyacinths would sometimes float in towards shore, clogging the area around the dock.

Creator

Hugh C. Leighton Company

Source

Original 9 x 14 centimeter color postcard by Hugh C. Leighton Company: Postcard Collection, call number PC3079, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1887-1930

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 9 x 14 centimeter color postcard by Hugh C. Leighton Company on Florida Memory Project: Postcard Collection, call number PC3079, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida. http://floridamemory.com/items/show/160931.

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.
Sanford Riverfront Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

Sanford, page 58.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

60 KB

Medium

9 x 14 centimeter color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.814197, -81.266041

Temporal Coverage

1887-01-01/1930-12-31

Accrual Method

Deposit

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.2; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.6.1; SS.4.E.1.2; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.8.A.4.5; SS.912.A.1.2; SS.912.A.1.4 SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created and owned by Hugh C. Leighton Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the State Library and Archives of Florida, and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
De Berard, Ella Teague. Steamboats in the Hyacinths. Daytona Beach, Fla: College Pub. Co, 1956.
"Steamboats." Museum of Seminole County History, Seminole County, Florida Government. http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/core/fileparse.php/3338/urlt/steamboats.pdf.
Bass, Bob. When Steamboats Reigned in Florida. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2008.

Transcript

Sanford, Fla. CLyd Line Pier.
CLYDE 55JOHNS RIVER LINE

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color postcard

Physical Dimensions

9 x 14 centimeter

Locations

Categories