Sanford High School Class of 1925

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford High School Class of 1925

Alternative Title

Sanford High Class of 1925

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
High schools--Florida
Schools
Students--Florida
Teachers--Florida
Educators--Florida

Description

Sanford High School's Class of 1925 with their teacher, Mrs. Glenn E. McKay, on the front steps of the second campus used for the school, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 7.5 x 10 inch black and white photograph: Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, Sanford High School Students folder, item SM-073-071, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1924-1925

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 7.5 x 10 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, Sanford High School Students folder, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

164 KB

Medium

7.5 x 10 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford High School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.

Transcript

SANFORD HIGH SCHOOL

SHS
CLASS
1925
NON VERBA

Sanford High School Class of 1925, Sanford, Fla (SM-073-071)

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

7.5 x 10 inches

Locations

Categories