Browse Items (23 total)

  • Tags: shops

eb4e8fa8bf8a514f0c0fa25e47bc22ac.png
An advertisement produced to showcase the advent of mid-century modernism in Orlando, Florida. The film depicts marketing strategies aimed at attracting white middle-to-upper class men in either military or defense technology engineering professions.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SL00062.jpg
An architectural development plan showing the Florida Mall, along with the surrounding parcels of real estate, drawn in 1981. The Florida Mall was designed and constructed by the Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation, founded by Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr.…

SL00060.jpg
architectural drawings showing two proposed layouts for Sky Lake Plaza, later named Skyview Plaza and sometimes referred to as the BeeLine Mall. Hymen Lake designed the plaza as regional shopping center, featuring a Publix supermarket and other…

SL00034.jpg
A south view of Sky Lake, Florida, in 1966. The second photograph is annotated to identify the Beeline Mall, Publix, Oak Ridge and Oak Ridge II, Sky Bowl, Orlando Central Park, Oak Ridge High School, and Candlelight Park. The roadway at the bottom of…

SL00018.jpg
The Skyview Plaza while under construction, around 1970. Located at 7801 Orange Blossom Trail in Sky Lake, the plaza can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the picture. Hymen Lake designed the plaza as regional shopping center, featuring a…

SL00007.jpg
This report provides detail on the Florida Mall's site development plans. The mall was designed and constructed by the Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation, founded by Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr. (1909-1994) in 1944. Edward J. DeBartolo Jr. (b. 1946) joined…

SL00005.jpg
This report gives an overview of the Florida Mall's perspective place in the Central Florida retail market. The Florida Mall was designed and constructed by the Edward J. DeBartolo Corporation, founded by Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr. (1909-1994) in…

WGHF00020.jpg
The Mann and Mills Dry Goods store at 31 South Main Street in Winter Garden, Florida. The building was constructed by James Lafayette Dillard (1858-1943) in 1922. Thomas Franklin Mann and Willie Mills migrated to Winter Garden in 1912, where they…

WGHF00014.JPG
A southward view of Main and Plant Street in Winter Garden, Florida, prior to the fires of 1909 and 1912. The large building on the right is A. B. Newton's Dry Good Store, which was later replaced by Dillard and Boyd General Merchandise Store. Behind…

WGHF00013.JPG
The business district of Winter Garden, Florida, photographed prior to the 1909 and 1912 fires that destroyed all of the buildings pictured. Winter Garden's business district was located at the intersection of East Plant Street and North Main Street.…

FSM00048.jpg
This photograph was taken from the porch of the Sanford House Hotel looking northeast. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's (1823-1891) company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. The docks at Palmetto Avenue can also…

FSM00047.jpg
Michael J. Doyle's Dry Goods & Grocery Store in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Doyle was an Irish immigrant who originally settled in Volusia County prior to the American Civil War. His store was most likely located on First Street between Palmetto…

OR00040.jpeg
The former location of Denmark's Sporting Goods, located at 149 North Magnolia Avenue (formerly Main Street) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Denmark's was founded in 1941 by Tom Denmark and quickly became one of Central Florida's largest sporting goods…

OR00036.jpeg
The former location of Kiddie Korner, a children's store that was also know as Kiddie Shoppe. The store was opened by Nat Berman and Pauline Berman at 66 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 1930s. The shoppe later expanded…

OR00035.jpeg
The former location of Gibbs-Louis, Inc. Founded in 1945 by Irving Gibbs, Gibbs-Louis was one of the most popular women's apparel stores in Downtown Orlando in the 1940s and 1950s. Along with the downtown location at 131 North Orange Avenue, there…