Sanford High School's Second Campus, 1911
Sanford High Second Campus
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1911. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.
Original 8.5 x 11 inch black and white photographic print: Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, folder Sanford High School Students, item SM-12-1521, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Print reproduction of original 8.5 x 11 inch black and white photographic print: Salmagundi 1911, (Sanford, FL: Seminole High School, 1911).
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original 8.5 x 11 inch black and white photographic print.
Is Part Of
Salmagundi 1911, (Sanford, FL: Seminole High School, 1911).
Sanford High School Collection, box 3A, folder Sanford High School Buildings, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Is Referenced By
Salmagundi 1911, page 7.
8.5 x 11 inch black and white photographic print
Sanford High School, Sanford, Florida
Originally published by Salmagundi.
"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Public History Center." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.
Sanford High School (1902)
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 black and white photographic print
8.5 x 11 inches