Map of Lake Charm

Dublin Core

Title

Map of Lake Charm

Alternative Title

Lake Charm Map

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
Lakes--Florida

Description

A map of Lake Charm, a 19-acre lake located in the Lake Jesup Watershed of Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1865 and 1870. The map shows mostly orange groves and farmland owned by a handful of individuals: Walter Gwynn, Dr. Henry Foster, Mary E. Foster, and Catherine M. Remington.

Walter Gwynn (1828-1897), comptroller for the State of Florida, bought the land south of Lake Jesup in 1859 and built his home on Lake Charm in 1868. His daughter, Martha Gwynn, is credited with naming the lake. In 1870, Dr. Henry Foster migrated to Lake Charm from New York and began growing oranges. He later developed the area as a resort in the 1880s.

Source

Original map: Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1865-1870

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1865-1870

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original map.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

115 KB

Medium

1 map

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Lake Charm, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Oviedo Historical Society and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"Lake Charm." University of South Florida. http://www.seminole.wateratlas.usf.edu/upload/documents/Charm.pdf.
"Research & Reference." Oviedo Historical Society. http://oviedohs.com/research-reference/.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 map

Locations

Categories