St. James Catholic Cathedral, 2014

Dublin Core

Title

St. James Catholic Cathedral, 2014

Alternative Title

St. James Catholic Cathedral

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Churches--Florida
Cathedrals--United States
Catholic Church--Florida

Description

St. James Catholic Cathedral is located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1881, Bishop John Moore (b. ca. 1834-1901) purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January 23, 1887, the cornerstone of the Holy Nativity Catholic Church was set under the leadership of Father Felix P. Swembergh (d. 1887). The building was designed by Kurz and Allison's Art Studio of Chicago in the American Gothic-style and was completed in June of 1891, under the guidance of Father Joseph J. Creed, who replaced Father Swembergh after his death in October 1887. It was renamed as St. James Catholic Church the following year.

In 1889, a storm destroyed the church's roof and the City of Orlando condemned the building. The church was rebuilt in 1889 in the old Carpenter Gothic-style and seated 240. The church also had a school, St. Joseph's Academy, built in 1889. The school site is now where the Downtown Orlando Post Office is located. The building was torn down around 1950 and the new building, designed by Donovan Dean and Arthur White, was completed on January 20, 1952. In 1977, the building was designated as the diocese's cathedral due to the destruction of the St. Charles Borromeo Cathedral by fire. In July of 2009, the cathedral was closed for renovations and was re-dedicated on November 20, 2010.

Creator

Williams, Rachel

Source

Original color digital images by Rachel Williams, July 24, 2014.

Date Created

2014-07-25

Is Part Of

Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection. RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

2.3 MB
2.1 MB

Medium

2 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

St. James Catholic Cathedral, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Rachel Williams.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Orange County Regional History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Bacon, Eve. Orlando: A Centennial History. Chuluota, Fla: Mickler House, 1975.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.. "About Us." St. James Catholic Cathedral. http://www.stjamesorlando.org/about-us/.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 color digital images

Locations

Categories