McElroy Apartments was originally a building owned by Sylvan McElroy Sr., whose family was one of the first settlers in Orlando, Florida, arriving in 1881. McElroy attended Rollins Academy (present-day Rollins College) in Winter Park, the Stetson University in DeLand, and received his medical degree from a medical school in Maryland. He opened his medical practice in 1908, and was a founder of the Orange General Hospital, now known as the Orlando Regional Medical Center (ORMC). Prior to 1926, he hired designer George Krug, who was well known for his Colonial Revival-style architecture, to help build his new apartment building on Orange Avenue, two blocks north of Lake Lucerne. In the early 1960s, after McElroy, passed away, the City of Orlando bought the property and demolished the apartments, in order to build a parking garage for Orlando Utilities. Today, the garage belongs to the International Restaurant &
Hospitality Consulting Group (IRHC).
Original black and white photograph: Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Orlando City Hall, Orlando, Florida.
Is Format Of
Original color digital image, 2016.
Is Part Of
Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Orlando City Hall, Orlando, Florida.
Orlando City Hall Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
1 black and white photograph
McElroy Apartments, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
"Early Settlers of Orange County- The McElroy Family." Buried Treasures 33, no. 4, 69-71. Accessed January 31, 2016. http://www.cfgs.org/images/files/quarterly/bt200112_cfgs_quarterly_vol_33-4.pdf.