Orlando City Hall Collection

Selected Items in the Orlando City Hall Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Invitation from Mayor Bob Carr for City Hall Dedication
An invitation from Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967) sent for an early preview of the new Orlando City Hall, which was to be dedicated on October 3, 1958. Mayor Carr served from 1957 through January 29, 1967, when he died in office. It was during his tenure…

City Hallways, Souvenir Issue, October 1958
The souvenir issue of City Hallways, a publication by the City of Orlando to keep employees up to date on news and events. This edition covers the new Orlando City Hall building, which was dedicated on October 3, 1958. The new city hall was designed…

Orlando Police Department Handcuffs and Key
A pair of handcuffs and key from the Orlando Police Department (OPD). These items are featured in one of the Orlando Remembered exhibits at the Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The handcuffs were a…

Mayor Carl T. Langford's Bugle
Mayor Carl T. Langford's (1918-2011) bugle. Langford served as mayor from 1967 to 1980, succeeding a recently deceased Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967) at the helm of the City Beautiful. A businessman by trade, Mayor Langford had no previous political…

Mayor Bill Frederick's Key to the City of Orlando
The city key presented to Mayor Bill Frederick (b. 1934), who served as the Mayor of Orlando from 1980 to 1992. He succeeded long-time mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011), who had retired in 1980 after a significant success in transforming Orlando…

Mayor Bob Carr's Key to the City of Orlando
The commemorative key to Orlando, Florida, that was presented to Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967). Robert Spencer Carr served as mayor of Orlando from 1956 to 1967. In 1945, when Carr was president of the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce, he helped…

Orlando City Hall Architectural Drawings
The contract drawings for the heating and air conditioning systems that were to be installed in Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Drawings contain the name of the commissioners of the city of Orlando. The old Orlando City Hall building…

Orlando Chief of Police Bob Chewning's Whistle and Badge
The police badge and whistle of Robert Joseph Chewning (b. 1923), the Chief of Police for the Orlando Police Department (OPD) from 1967 to 1973. Chief Chewning was born October 22, 1923, in Baltimore, Maryland. After serving in the Eighth Air Force…

Orlando Police Department Night Stick
This older model wooden police baton was used as a non-lethal alternative when making arrests. This baton was owned by Robert Joseph Chewning (b. 1923), who had served as Chief of Police for the Orlando Police Department (OPD) from 1967 to 1973.…

Mayor William Hamer Beardall, Jr.'s Key to the City of Orlando
The city key presented to Mayor William Hamer Beardall, Jr. (1890-1984). Beardall served as Mayor of Orlando from 1940 to 1952. He served four consecutive terms through the turbulent years of World War II and its aftermath. While in office he…

Mayor Carl T. Langford's Big Key to the City of Orlando
The city key presented to Mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011). Langford was elected to the Office of Mayor on March 7, 1967, to fill the vacancy left when Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967) died in office. Mayor Langford served through 1980. A businessman,…

Mayor Carl T. Langford and the Orlando City Council
Mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011) and members of the Orlando City Council. Standing from left to right are District 2 City Commissioner Shelton Adams, District 3 City Commissioner Thomas M. Brownlee, District 1 City Commissioner Donald L. Crenshaw…

"Right to Know" Award for Mayor Carl T. Langford
This wooden wall mount was awarded to Mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011) by the Sigma Delta Chi Chapter, a local journalism fraternity, in 1968. Langford was elected to the Office of Mayor on March 7, 1967, to fill the vacancy left when Mayor Bob…

Implosion of 1958 Orlando City Hall
The implosion of the 1958 Orlando City Hall, which was featured in Lethal Weapon 3. During Mayor Bill Frederick’s (b. 1934) campaign to beautify and transform Orlando, a new city hall had been built to replace the one built in 1958 under Mayor Bob…

"L" from the Orlando City Hall Sign
An "L" from the 1958 Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was designed by noted Orlando architect Richard Boone Rogers under the administration of Mayor William Hamer Beardall, Jr. (1890-1984), who served from 1940 to 1952,…

In Commemoration of a Former Landmark of the City of Orlando
A plaque commemorating the former 1958 Orlando City Hall, which was imploded on October 25, 1991, for the filming of Lethal Weapon 3. The building was replaced by a new one in 1991 as a product of Mayor Bill Frederick’s (b. 1934) efforts to…

Action Center USA
An advertisement produced to showcase the advent of mid-century modernism in Orlando, Florida. The film depicts marketing strategies aimed at attracting white middle-to-upper class men in either military or defense technology engineering professions.…

Proud of Our Heritage...
A brochure concerning the construction of the Orlando City Hall in Orlando, Florida. The brochure outlines the city officials responsible in the various steps of its conception, construction, and design processes. A brief stapled on the inside of the…

Mayor William Hamer Beardall, Jr.
Mayor William Hamer Beardall, Jr., hard at work in his office (1890-1984). Beardall served as Mayor of Orlando from 1940 to 1952. Mayor Beardall made improvements to Orlando International Airport by expanding upon it and creating a larger terminal.…

Orlando's New City Hall, 1958
The City of Orlando acquired a new city hall in 1958. Situated at the corner of South Orange Avenue and South Street in Downtown Orlando, the 1958 city was located very close to where the current city hall stands. The 1958 city hall was a large…

McElroy Apartments
McElroy Apartments was originally a building owned by Sylvan McElroy Sr., whose family was one of the first settlers in Orlando, Florida, arriving in 1881. McElroy attended Rollins Academy (present-day Rollins College) in Winter Park, the Stetson…

Orlando Police Department Motor Patrol
The Orlando Police Department (OPD) motor patrol in 1948, with Lieutenant Vernon "Bulldog" Rogers in the center. The OPD was established in 1875, the same year Orlando became incorporated into a city with only 22 votes. The motor patrol was first…

Key to City of Orlando
A key to the city of Orlando. The size of the key represents the importance of the key. The "Key to the City" tradition comes from the medieval "Freedom of the City" tradition. The recipient of this key or this honor received the privilege to enter…

Orlando Steam Laundry Buttons
Buttons from the Orlando Steam Laundry in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Originally called Mann Laundry, the business was first located on East Pine Street. The laundry was later purchased by I. N. Burman and J. N. Wigfall, Jr. in 1919, who renamed it…

Orlando City Hall Exhibit Painting
This painting highlights notable businesses and the Orlando City Hall located in Downtown Orlando, Florida in 1951. Featured in the piece is South Street and the South West Corner of Boone Street. At the center of the piece is the Orlando City Hall…

Orlando City Council Chambers Key
The keys to the Orlando City Council chambers. The key was the only key that would unlock the door to the Council chambers. The key opened a pin tumbler lock, which had five pins that responded when depressed by the key. This type of key format was…

Medicine Bottle
A bottle for storing medicine used by pharmacists in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Many glass bottles were manufactured and embossed with information, such as the store address, name of the doctor or prescription, etc. The bottles were not…

Mayor Bob Carr at the First Orlando City Council Meeting in the New Orlando City Hall
Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967) at the first Orlando City Council meeting in the new 1958 Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Photographed, from left to right, are: Grace Avera, council secretary; William G. Stewart, city clerk; A. B. Herndon,…

Colonel Michael Norman Wright McCoy and Mayor J. Rolfe Davis at Pinecastle Air Force Base
Colonel Michael Norman Wright McCoy (1905-1957), commanding officer of Pinecastle Air Force Base, with J. Rolfe Davis (1904-1988), who served as Mayor of Orlando from 1953 to 1956, at Pinecastle AFB in Orlando, Florida. Col. McCoy died in a flight…

Orlando City Hall Commemorative Brick
The cornerstone commemorative brick of the Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. From 1906 to 1924, this brick was part of Orlando Public School, located at 1 West Jackson Street. In 1922, the school was moved to a new building and Orlando…

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Spike
A railroad spike from the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL). This railroad spike most likely came from the discontinued lines in the Orlando-Sanford area of Florida. These railways were in use from 1902 to 1967 when the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad…

Howard's Grocery Store
Three items are from the Howard's Grocery Store, which most likely came from the location at 4200 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, between 1930 and 1980. The company has been in operation since its founding in 1912 by Julian Howard.…

Orlando City Hall, 1958
The newly constructed Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida, as it looked in 1958 upon its completion. Located on the southwest corner of South Orange Avenue and South Street, construction of the new city hall began in 1956 with the building…

Central Florida Magazine (October 1986)
The cover from the October 1986 issue of the Central Florida magazine, which highlights the economic boom in Orlando, Florida, under Mayor Bill Frederick (b. 1934), who served as mayor from 1980 to 1992. The growing city was, during this time, facing…

Silver Drive Homes Under Construction
Home under construction on Silver Drive in Downtown Orlando, Florida. During the 1950s and 1960s, Orlando underwent one of the biggest building booms within its history. The 1952 census of the city registered a total of 18,513 housing units within…

Mayor Carl T. Langford with Orlando Chief of Police Bob Chewning
Mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011) and Chief of Police Robert Joseph Chewning (b. 1923) with the Orlando Police Department (OPD). Mayor Langford is pictured third from the left in the first row and Chief Bob Chewning is the fourth from the left.…

This is Orlando
An aerial view of Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the 1960s or 1970s. Along with city hall, several other buildings are viewable in the background, namely the American Fire and Casualty Company. The photograph is titled "This is…

Glenn L. Martin Company Plant Construction
The original Martin Company plant during its construction. The site was located on Orange Blossom Trail and Sand Lake Road, about four miles south of in Orlando, Florida. The Martin Company purchased the land from the City of Orlando in 1956 for…

Temporary Glenn L. Martin Company Facility
A temporary building on Elwell Street used by the Martin Company while the company's main plant was being constructed on Orange Blossom Trail and Sand Lake Road in Orlando, Florida. The Martin Company was a missile manufacturer that expanded to the…

Orlando City Hall Painting
Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida, as it appeared from 1958 to 1991. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for the growing Orlando area. The painting was created by…

Maximum Occupancy Sign at Orlando City Hall
The sign depicts the maximum occupancy for the Orlando City Council Chambers within the Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for…

Fire Alarm at Orlando City Hall
The fire alarm for the fire safety system in the 1958 Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for the growing Orlando area. The fire…

Mayor Carl T. Langford's Small Key to the City of Orlando
The small city key presented to Mayor Carl T. Langford (1918-2011). Mayor Langford later presented this key to George Hill in 1973. Little information is known on who George Hill was or why he was being honor with a key to the city.Langford was…

Minnesota Twins Baseball Cap
A Minnesota Twins baseball cap. The Minnesota Twins have been part of the history of Orlando, Florida, since 1936. Originally, this baseball club was founded in 1901 as the Washington Senators. The Washington Senators spent 34 years in 11 different…

Orlando Steam Laundry Company and Dixie Sales & Service
The Orlando Steam Laundry Company, located at 43 West Concord Avenue, and Dixie Kuhr’s Dixie Sales & Service in Orlando, Florida. Orlando Steam Laundry Co. was first established in 1900 and was officially incorporated on January 1, 1923. While…

B-52G Model from McCoy Air Force Base
A model of a B-52G bomber plane from McCoy Air Force Base. The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is a long range, heavy bomber that entered military service in 1955. The primary role and purpose of the B-52 was strategic bombing and nuclear deterrence; two…

Orlando City Hall
The Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the 1960s or 1970s. During that same decade, Orlando experienced a population boom. Due to this increase in population, the city needed to expand its public buildings to accommodate the changes…

Mayor Carl T. Langford's Gavel
Mayor Carl T. Langford's (1918-2011) gavel, which was used to bring Orlando City Council meetings to order. The gavel is made of wood, with a metal ring attaching the handle to the head of the gavel. Mayor Langford shepherded Orlando, Florida,…

Mayor Bob Carr
Mayor Bob Carr (1899-1967), who served as the Mayor of Orlando, Florida, from 1956 to 1967. Mayor Carr is best known for being the first mayor in Orlando to promote civil rights while in office. He was also the first mayor to hire minority police…

Dublin Core

Title

Orlando City Hall Collection

Alternative Title

City Hall Collection

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
City halls--United States

Description

Historic artifacts from an exhibit created by Orlando Remembered at the Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit houses objects relating to Orlando's municipal government. The current building opened in July of 1991. The former city hall was located directly in front of current building and was in operation from 1958 to 1991. The exhibit features photographs and memorabilia from past Orlando mayors dating back to 1932.

Orlando Remembered is a community based group, dedicated to the preservation of Downtown Orlando's past. To date, the group has constructed 18 exhibits in the downtown area that highlight the current building's connection to the past.

Contributor

Orlando Remembered

Is Part Of

Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection. RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Orlando City Hall, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Contributing Project

Orlando Remembered

Curator

Cepero, Laura
Barnes, Mark

Digital Collection

Source Repository

"The Historic Icons of Orlando." Orlando Remembered. http://www.historiciconsoforlando.com/.
Bacon, Eve. Orlando: A Centennial History. Chuluota, Fla: Mickler House, 1975.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Collection Tree