A bottle for storing medicine used by pharmacists in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Many glass bottles were manufactured and embossed with information, such as the store address, name of the doctor or prescription, etc. The bottles were not restricted by any of the properties of the medicine, and thousands of glass bottles were produced. Pharmacies like Enzor's Pharmacy sold medicine in bottles like these from their opening through the Great Depression and into the modern era until plastic bottles came into production. Also known as Enzor's Drug Store and Restaurant, Enzor's was located on the block as the original Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Enzor's opened in the old Avalon Hotel in 1925 and then reopened when the old building was razed and replaced in 1956. The pharmacy was named after William Enzor, who owned the business in the 1940s. In 1983, the business was bought by James J. Rowlison and became Rowlinson's Restaurant.
Original medicine bottles: Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Orlando City Hall, Orlando, Florida.
Is Format Of
Original color digital image, 2016.
Is Part Of
Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Orlando City Hall, Orlando, Florida.
Orlando City Hall Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
1 medicine bottle
Enzor's Pharmacy, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Lindsey, B. "Bottle Typing/Diagnostic Shapes, Medicinal/Chemical/Druggist Bottles." Society of Historical Archaeology, Inc. February 3, 2016. Accessed February 11, 2016. https://www.sha.org/bottle/medicinal.htm.
Kunerth, Jeff. "James J. Rowlinson: Enzor's diner was his kind of place." The Orlando Sentinel, April 24, 2011. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-04-24/news/os-james-rowlinson-obituary-20110424_1_diner-jim-rowlinson-rowlinson-s-restaurant.