New Wharf at Sanford!

Dublin Core

Title

New Wharf at Sanford!

Alternative Title

Sanford Wharf Ad

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Lake Monroe (Seminole County and Volusia County, Fla.)
St. Johns River (Fla.)

Description

An advertisement for the opening of the wharf in Sanford, Florida. The original Sanford Wharf, built by Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) and Joseph Wofford Tucker (1821-1897), was completed in September 1870. The wharf, made of yellow cypress, was 540 feet in length and cost $2,970. At the end of the wharf was a 30-by-20-foot storehouse. The wharf was built by Sanford to encourage development in the area. However, the wharf itself produced few profits and did little to return Sanford's initial investment. The original structure was destroyed when Lake Monroe flooded in 1871. Much of the wood from the original structure was salvaged by Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) and a group of Swedish laborers and a new, larger wharf was built in 1872.

Source

Original advertisement: box 52, folder 1, subfolder 52.1.1, Henry Shelton Sanford Papers, General Henry S. Sanford Memorial Library, Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1870-1871

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original advertisement.

Is Part Of

Henry Shelton Sanford Papers, General Henry S. Sanford Memorial Library, Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Henry Shelton Sanford Papers Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

142 KB

Medium

1 advertisement

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Provenance

Donated to the Connecticut Historical Society after 1901.
Loaned to the Tennessee State Library and Archives for processing until June 1, 1960.
Acquired by the General Henry S. Sanford Memorial Library, Sanford Museum in 1960.

Rights Holder

The displayed collection item is housed at the General Henry S. Sanford Memorial Library, Sanford Museum in Sanford, Florida. Rights to this item belong to the said institution, and therefore inquiries about the item should be directed there. RICHES of Central Florida has obtained permission from the Sanford Museum to display this item for educational purposes only.

Curator

Fedorka, Drew M.

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Fry, Joseph A. Henry S. Sanford: Diplomacy and Business in Nineteenth-Century America. Reno: University of Nevada Press, 1982.

Transcript

New Wharf
AT
SANFORD!

The new and beautiful Wharf, built of Yellow Cypress, and located on
LAKE MONROE
St. John's River, half a mile below Mellonville, is now open to the public.

All the usual facilities for the shipment and importation of goods, wares, lumber, &c., will be afforded to patrons.
A new Road is now being extended from the Wharf, running south, and connects, for the present, with the Orlando road between the Hon. Arthur Ginn's and Mellonville: also with a road to the steam mills, and thence in the direction of Apopka Lake.
The subscriber is instructed to fix the subjoined Rates of Charge until further notice; and to announce the Rules appended below for the regulation of business.

J. WOFFORD TUCKER, Agent.

WHARFACE, DRAYAGE AND STORAGE,

Per single package, 12 cents.
Wharfage and drayage, without storage. 8 "
Wharfage, without drayage or storage, 5 "
Horses, waggons[sic], carriages, and very heavy articles of freight, such as machinery, &c., will be charged at higher rates.

RULES.
1.—All charges must be invariably, without distinction of persons, be paid in case on delivery of the goods. No departure from this rule must be asked for or expected.
2.—Where importers have pre-paid the steamer's freights, and desire to take away their goods without storing them, they will be allowed the use of the hand-car, not otherwise in use, to bring off their own goods, without any charges for drayage.

Locations

Categories