Mayfair Inn Lobby

Dublin Core

Title

Mayfair Inn Lobby

Alternative Title

Mayfair Inn Lobby

Subject

Tourism--Florida
Hotels--Florida
Hotel lobbies
Resorts--Florida

Description

Lobby at the Mayfair Inn. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation. After the Naval Air Station Sanford acquired $1.3 million to fund the construction of a naval academy in 1963, the Foundation made significant alterations to the building to house students from the Sanford Naval Academy. The Foundation later sold the building to the New Tribes Mission in 1977. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Abstract

The lobby of the Mayfair Inn.

Source

Original black and white photograph.

Publisher

The Seminole Herald

Date Created

1948-1963

Date Issued

2002

Has Format

Print newspaper reproduction of original black and white photograph: Cities/Towns-Sanford Collection, Library and Archives, Orange County Regional History Center, Orlando, Florida.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of print newspaper reproduction of original black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Library and Archives, Orange County Regional History Center, Orlando, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

585 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1948-01-01/1963-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by The Seminole Herald

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Seminole Herald and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

<a href="https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/map/" target="_blank">RICHES MI</a>

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
The Seminole Herald/em>. Sanford: Our First 125 Years/em>. [Sanford, FL]: The Herald, 2002.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.

Transcript

Lobby
THE MAYFAIR INN
Sanford, Florida

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00036.jpg