Oviedo Train Depot, 1970

Dublin Core

Title

Oviedo Train Depot, 1970

Alternative Title

Oviedo Train Depot

Subject

Railroads--Florida
Oviedo (Fla.)

Description

The Oviedo Depot, originally located at 520 South Lake Jessup Avenue in Oviedo, Florida, in 1970. The depot was built in 1886 as part of Henry B. Plant's (1819-1899) railroad system. The Plant System ran from Jacksonville to Key West. The design of the depot was based on the design standards set by the Plant System. This standardized system for the Florida lines had three depot styles based on the population of the town or city it serviced. The Oviedo design was the small town wooden depot design, as opposed to the larger cities that had brick depots. The depot was later moved to its present location at 636 South Lake Jessup Road.

During World War II, the roof of the depot was used as guide for patrolling planes that flew out of Sanford Airport. Along with the depot, there was originally a red warehouse for the produce and a water tank used for the train engines. In the 1970s, the depot was sold to the Connolly family, which chose to preserve it from demolition. The depot now sits on the Connolly's property as a guesthouse and its exterior is fully restored.

Creator

Stevens, R. Randolph

Source

Print reproduction of original 4 x 3 inch black and white photograph by R. Randolph Stevens, 1970.

Publisher

Date Created

1970

Date Copyrighted

2008

Contributor

Smalls, Eric

Has Format

Original 4 x 3 inch black and white photograph by R. Randolph Stevens, 1970.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 4 x 3 inch black and white photograph by R. Randolph Stevens, 1970.

Is Part Of

Mulligan, Michael. Railroad Depots of Central Florida. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2008, page 42.
Central Florida Railroad Depots Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

229 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Oviedo Train Depot, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created and owned by R. Randolph Stevens.

Rights Holder

Courtesy of Glenda Connolly and Desta Horner of the Oviedo Historical Society.
Copyright to this resource is held by R. Randolph Stevens and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Dr. Connie L. Lester's American Economic History Undergraduate Class, Spring 2014

Curator

Smalls, Eric
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Mulligan, Michael. Railroad Depots of Central Florida. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2008.
Turner, Gregg M. A Journey into Florida Railroad History. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2008.
Turner, Gregg M. A Short History of Florida Railroads. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2003.
Murdock, R. Ken. Outline History of Central Florida Railroads. Winter Garden, Fla: Central Florida Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, 1997.
"RICHES Podcast Documentaries, Episode 25: The Railways of Central Florida." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/2477.

Transcript

OVIEDO

Zotero

University

RRD00005.jpg

Locations

Categories