Woman's Club Celebrates Centennial

Dublin Core

Title

Woman's Club Celebrates Centennial

Alternative Title

Woman's Club Centennial

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
Clubs--United States

Description

A newspaper article written by Erin Machaby and published by The Oviedo Voice in February of 2006. The article discusses the 75th anniversary celebration the Oviedo Woman's Club (OWC), held on February 10. OWC members were joined by members of the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs (FFWC), as well as a number of Oviedo City Council members. Pictured in the photographs, from left to right, are Mary Gregory, Susan Witty, and Glenne Stoner.

The Oviedo Woman's Club was founded in 1906 as the Oviedo Magazine Club by seven charter members: H. B. McCall, Edith Meade, Georgia Lee Wheeler, Lillian Lee Lawton, Mattie Aulin Wheeler, Milcah Yonge, and Mary King. The first clubhouse was constructed in 1914 and also served as Oviedo's first library. In 1916, the club joined the FFWC and officially changed its name to the Oviedo Woman's Club. In 1923, the woman's club was federated under the umbrella of the General Federation of Woman's Clubs (GFWC). A new clubhouse was built in 1961 on property donated by R. L. Croom, a former member, which is located at 414 King Street. The Oviedo Woman's Club is involved in many civic projects, including the annual Great Day in the Country Arts and Crafts Festival, the Spring Fundraiser, Tasting Luncheons, and Celebrate Spring Teas.

Creator

Machaby, Erin

Source

Original newspaper article: Machaby, Erin. "Woman's Club Celebrates Centennial." The Oviedo Voice, Vol. XVI, No. 7, February 16-22, 2006: Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich.

Publisher

The Oviedo Voice

Date Created

ca. 2006-02-16

Date Copyrighted

2006-02-16

Date Issued

2006-02-16

Contributor

Lippincott, Nick
Gestrich, Beatrice

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original newspaper article: Machaby, Erin. "Woman's Club Celebrates Centennial." The Oviedo Voice, Vol. XVI, No. 7, February 16-22, 2006.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Oviedo Woman's Club, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Erin Machaby and published by The Oviedo Voice.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Oviedo Voice and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Beatrice Gestrich

External Reference

"Our History." Oviedo Woman's Club. http://www.oviedowomansclub.org/our-community/our-history.html.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories