Take a New Look...at Westinghouse Combustion Turbines

Dublin Core

Title

Take a New Look...at Westinghouse Combustion Turbines

Alternative Title

Westinghouse Combustion Turbines

Subject

Westinghouse Electric Corporation
Turbines

Description

In April of 1987, the Combustion Turbine Systems Division of Westinghouse Electric Corporation was relocated from its prior headquarters in Concordville, Pennsylvania to the World Headquarters of Westinghouse Power Generation located at The Quadrangle, on Alafaya Trail, across from the University of Central in Orlando, Florida. This advertisement was prepared shortly after the move.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling, and a top-level decision to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings in the area were leased and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation of Germany in 1998, additional buildings (Quad II and Quad III) were added to the original complex at the Quadrangle. From 1998 to 2003 the Orlando operation was known as Siemens-Westinghouse, after which the name of Westinghouse was dropped. The operation has been known as Siemens from that time forward.

Source

Original advertisement, 1987: Private Collection of Harry Jaeger.

Date Created

1987

Date Copyrighted

1987

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original advertisement, 1987.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

799 KB

Medium

1 advertisement

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Westinghouse Electric Corporation, The Quadrangle, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Science Teacher

Rights Holder

This resource is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Westinghouse Electric Corporation Archives

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 advertisement

Locations

Categories