Castillo de San Marcos Brochure

Dublin Core

Title

Castillo de San Marcos Brochure

Alternative Title

Castillo de San Marcos Brochure

Subject

St. Augustine (Fla.)
Castillo de San Marcos (Saint Augustine, Fla.)

Description

A brochure describing the history of the Castillo de San Marcos, the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States. Located at 11 South Castillo Drive in St. Augustine, Florida, the fort was designed by Ignacio Daza and constructed from 1672 to 1695, during the first Spanish period in Florida history. When the British gained control of the Florida Territory in 1763, St. Augustine became the capital of East Florida and the Castillo de San Marcos was renamed Fort St. Mark. The name was changed back in 1783 when Spain regained control of Florida. In 1821, Spain ceded Florida to the United States and the U.S. Army renamed the site Fort Marion. The fort was declared a national monument in 1924 and was deactivated as a military site in 1933. The original name of Castillo de San Marcos was restored in 1942.

Source

Original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard, 1958: ACC# SM-00-243, file folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1958

Date Copyrighted

1958

Contributor

Campbell, Lucile

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard, 1958.

Is Part Of

File folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Lucile Campbell Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

1.01 MB

Medium

3 x 5 inch black and white postcard

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by U.S. Government Printing Office.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Aphasia Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Maynard, Charles W. Castillo De San Marcos. New York: PowerKids Press, 2002.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photographic postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Locations

Categories