Only Lighthouse in U.S. Within City Limits - Key West Postcard

LCC000703.pdf

Dublin Core

Title

Only Lighthouse in U.S. Within City Limits - Key West Postcard

Alternative Title

Key West Lighthouse Postcard

Subject

Key West (Fla.)
Lighthouses--Florida

Description

A postcard depicting the exterior of the Key West Lighthouse, located at 938 Whitehead Street in Key West, Florida. The lighthouse opened in 1848, with Michael Mabrity (D. 1832) as its first keeper. After Mabrity died, his wife, Barbara Mabrity (1782-1867) became new keeper, despite being a woman. The lighthouse was later destroyed by the San Francisco de Borja Hurricane of 1846, also known as the Great Havana Hurricane of 1846, A new lighthouse was completed in 1848. The Key West Lighthouse was ultimately decommission in 1969 and was subsequently converted into the Key West Light House and Keeper's Quarters Museum.

This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept by Lucile Campbell, a schoolteacher in Sanford, Florida, for 30 years. In 1931, she took advantage of a special rate for teachers and sailed to Europe, where she traveled for several months and is thought to have acquired many of these postcards. During the 1940-1941 school year, Campbell taught at Sanford Grammar School. Before her retirement in 1970, she taught at many other area schools, including the Oviedo School, Westside Grammar School, and Pinecrest Elementary School. Campbell used these postcards as aids in her classrooms to teach advanced subjects, such as Shakespearean drama. The collection, along with her other teaching aids, papers, and photographs, was later found at Sanford Grammar School after it became the University of Central Florida's Public History Center. Campbell's postcard collection and photographs provide insight into the life of a respected Florida educator.

Source

Original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard: ACC# SM-00-243, file folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1900-1969

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1900-1969

Contributor

Campbell, Lucile

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard.

Is Part Of

File folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Lucile Campbell Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

285 KB

Medium

3 x 5 inch black and white postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Key West Lighthouse, Key West, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Aphasia Project

Curator

Raffel, Sara

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Lighthouse & Keeper's Quarters." Key West Art & Historical Society. http://www.kwahs.org/visit/lighthouse-keepers-quarters/.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photographic postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Citation

“Only Lighthouse in U.S. Within City Limits - Key West Postcard,” RICHES, accessed July 12, 2024, https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/6796.

Categories