Old Spanish Mission Built in 1696 Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

Old Spanish Mission Built in 1696 Postcard

Alternative Title

Old Spanish Mission Postcard

Subject

New Smyrna Beach (Fla.)

Sugar--United States

Description

A postcard depicting what was once believed to be an old Franciscan mission with origins dating back to the time of Christopher Columbus (ca. 1451-1506). However, Captain Charles Henry Coe (1856-1954) debunked this myth in Debunking the So-Called Spanish Mission Near New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida in 1941. Instead, Capt. Coe revealed evidence that the site was actually a sugar mill, which is now known as the New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins, which was destroyed by Native Americans in 1845, just five years after it was erected. The ruins were added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Also known as the Cruger and DePeyster Sugar Mill, the ruins are located at 600 Old Mission Road in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept by Lucile Campbell, a schoolteacher in Sanford, Florida, for 30 years. In 1931, she took advantage of a special rate for teachers and sailed to Europe, where she traveled for several months and is thought to have acquired many of these postcards. During the 1940-1941 school year, Campbell taught at Sanford Grammar School. Before her retirement in 1970, she taught at many other area schools, including the Oviedo School, Westside Grammar School, and Pinecrest Elementary School. Campbell used these postcards as aids in her classrooms to teach advanced subjects, such as Shakespearean drama. The collection, along with her other teaching aids, papers, and photographs, was later found at Sanford Grammar School after it became the University of Central Florida's Public History Center. Campbell's postcard collection and photographs provide insight into the life of a respected Florida educator.

Source

Original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard: ACC# SM-00-243, file folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

L. L. Cook Company

Date Created

ca. 1900-1941

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1900-1941

Contributor

Campbell, Lucile

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch black and white postcard.

Is Part Of

File folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Lucile Campbell Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

322 KB

Medium

3 x 5 inch black and white postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins, New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by L. L. Cook Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Aphasia Project

Curator

Raffel, Sara

Digital Collection

External Reference

Coe, Charles Henry. Debunking the so-Called Spanish Mission Near New Smyrna Beach, Volusia County, Florida. [Daytona Beach]: [Fitzgerald publications], 1941.
Redd, Robert. Historic Sites and Landmarks of New Smyrna Beach. [S.l.]: History Press, 2015.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photographic postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Locations

Categories