The Power Generation Canadian Division

Dublin Core

Title

The Power Generation Canadian Division

Alternative Title

Power Generation Canadian Division

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

A brochure for Westinghouse Electric's Power Generation Canadian Division, located in Hamilton, Canada. Since its founding in 1903, Westinghouse Canada, Inc. (WECAN) was an integral part of the Westinghouse Electric Company's engineering and manufacturing structure. Although WECAN was built to manufacture large rotating equipment, such as motors and both steam turbines and gas turbines, the facility also manufactured a broad spectrum of equipment.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original 21-page brochure: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1990

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 21-page brochure.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

2.65 MB

Medium

21-page brochure

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Westinghouse Power Generation Canadian Division, Hamilton, Canada

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Westinghouse Canada, Inc.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Westinghouse Canada, Inc. and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Manners, Sandy. Westinghouse, Siemens Westinghouse: 100 Years in Canada. Hamilton, Ont: Siemens Westinghouse, 2003.
"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories