Beach View from Sheraton Plaza Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

Beach View from Sheraton Plaza Postcard

Alternative Title

Sheraton Plaza Postcard

Subject

Daytona Beach (Fla.)
Beaches--Florida
Parks--Florida

Description

A postcard depicting the Sheraton Plaza, located at 13 South Atlantic Avenue in Daytona Beach, Florida. The park is now known as Breakers Sheraton Plaza and Environmental Learning Center. Daytona Beach was originally inhabited by the Timucua before the arrival of Spaniards in 1513. After the Timucua were virtually exterminated following contact with Europeans, the area was frequented by Seminoles from Georgia and Alabama, up until the Second Seminole War. During British occupation of Florida (1763-1783), King's Road was built, extending from St. Augustine, passing through Daytona, and ending in New Smyrna Beach. After the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), Spain regained Florida, and, in 1804, Samuel Williams was granted 3,000 acres of land in Daytona from the Spanish Crown. Williams established a cotton, rice, and sugarcane plantation. During the Second Seminole War, Seminoles razed the plantation, while Williams' son, Samuel Hill Williams, fled.

In 1871, Mathias Day, Jr., a migrant from Mansfield, Ohio, purchased a large tract of land along the west bank of the Halifax River, which included the former Williams Plantation. With the construction of Day's hotel, today's Daytona Beach Historic District was created. In 1876, residents named the city "Daytona," in honor of Day, when the area was incorporated as a town. Growth continued in 1886 when the St. Johns & Halifax River Railway extended to Daytona.

In 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, Kingston, and Seabreeze merged together as Daytona Beach, in an effort led by J. B. Kahn. By this time, the beach had been nicknamed "The World's Most Famous Beach." Automobile and motorcycle races began in 1902, due to the smooth, compacted sand that covered the beach. Daytona Beach became the site of various land speed record attempts. On March 8, 1836, the first stock car race was held at the Daytona Beach Road Course, which is located in present-day Ponce Inlet. William France, Sr. and the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) established the Daytona International Speedway in 1958 to replace the beach course.

Creator

Curt Teich and Company

Source

Original 9 x 14 centimeter color postcard by Curt Teich and Company: Private Collection of Bob Van Horn.

Publisher

Murrell Post Card Company

Date Created

ca. 1940-1949

Contributor

Van Horn, Bob

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 9 x 14 centimeter color postcard by Curt Teich and Company.

Is Part Of

Daytona Beach Collection, Volusia County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

371 KB

Medium

9 x 14 centimeter color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sheraton Plaza, Daytona Beach, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Curt Teich and Company and published by the Murrell Post Card Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Bob Van Horn and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Local History." Daytona Beach. http://www.daytonabeach.com/resources/history/.
Cardwell, Harold D., and Priscilla D. Cardwell. Historic Daytona Beach. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Pub, 2004.

Locations

Categories