W201 U.S. Steel Blast Furnace Gas Turbine

Dublin Core

Title

W201 U.S. Steel Blast Furnace Gas Turbine

Alternative Title

W201 Blast Furnace Gas Turbine

Subject

Engineering--United States

Description

A diagram of the W201 U.S. Steel blast furnace gas turbine. The unique application of a modified version of Westinghouse Electric Corporation's W201 (rated at 20,000) was installed at South Works, a U.S. Steel manufacturing plant in Chicago, Illinois. The W201 was the first direct drive gas turbine developed by Westinghouse and was used to drive a 12,500-standard cubic feet per minute fan to blow air into a blast furnace. The design requirement was to use blast furnace exhaust gas as its fuel and the installation included an external burner.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original black and white diagram: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1960

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white diagram.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

46.5 KB

Medium

1 black and white diagram

Type

Still Image

Coverage

South Works, Chicago, Illinois

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Science Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Harry L. Jaeger and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories