West Texas Utilities Company Combined-Cycle Power Plant

Dublin Core

Title

West Texas Utilities Company Combined-Cycle Power Plant

Alternative Title

West Texas Utilities Co. Combined-Cycle Power Plant

Subject

Engineering--United States

Description

The first pre-engineered combined-cycle power plant installed by the West Texas Utilities Company at its power station in San Angelo, Texas. The Westinghouse Electric gas turbine used for that application was a supercharged model W301, nominally rated at 25MW. The rating on the steam turbine was 85MW, for an overall combined-cycle plant power rating of 110MW, and Thermal efficiency achieved was more than 39 percent, the record for gas-fired power plants in the U.S. for quite some time.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original color photograph, 1965: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

1965

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original color photograph, 1965.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

414 KB

Medium

1 color photograph

Type

Still Image

Coverage

West Texas Utilities Company Power Plant, San Angelo, Texas

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Harry L. Jaeger and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. WE00069.jpg