PACE 260 Combined-Cycle Power Plants

Dublin Core

Title

PACE 260 Combined-Cycle Power Plants

Alternative Title

PACE Power Plants

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

A list of Power at Combined Efficiency (PACE) combined-cycle plant installations from 1973 to1984. Power at Combined Efficiency (PACE) 260 was the original designation of the plant design because the early plants used the 80MW Westinghouse 501B (W501B) gas turbine and were rated at 260MW. PACE combined-cycle plants are comprised of two Westinghouse 501 (W501) gas turbines and a 100 MW Westinghouse steam turbine.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original typed list: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

1984

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original typed list.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

547 KB

Medium

1 typed list

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Comanche Station, Lawton, Oklahoma
El Paso, Texas
Gomez Palacio, Mexico
Port of Dos Bocas, Mexico
Florida Power and Light Company, Palatka, Florida
Coolwater Station, Daggett, California
Tula, Mexico

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Siemens and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories