Westinghouse Electric Combustion Turbine Operations Mug

Dublin Core

Title

Westinghouse Electric Combustion Turbine Operations Mug

Alternative Title

Westinghouse Electric Mug

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

A mug for Westinghouse Electric's Combustion Turbine Operations (CTO) mug, which was given to each employee who transferred from the CTO's location in Concordville, Pennsylvania, to Orlando, Florida, where the division was being relocated. CTO was established as part of the Power Systems Business Unit's (PSBU) Generation Technology Systems Division (GTSD). After relocation, CTO was incorporated into the Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU).

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original color photographs: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

ca. 1987

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original color photographs.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

434 KB
552 KB

Medium

1 color photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Westinghouse Power Generation Business Unit, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

There is no known copyright for this resource, which is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. WE00108.jpg
  2. WE00109.jpg