Westinghouse 501F Combustion Turbine Advertisement

Dublin Core

Title

Westinghouse 501F Combustion Turbine Advertisement

Alternative Title

W501F Turbine Ad

Subject

Energy--United States

Description

The first advertisement for the Westinghouse 501F (W501F) combustion turbine in June of 1988. The 150MW-class (introductory rating) W501F was developed from 1987 to 1989 as a joint engineering program between Westinghouse Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The W501F evolved in the tradition of Westinghouse's proven design features listed on this diagram. Changes to the design include canted combustors, shortened transition ducts, and a bolted and pinned compressor rotor. Up to that time, through the Westinghouse 501D5 (W501D5)A, compressor discs were shrunk onto the rotor shaft.

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse's primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its division headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation, additional buildings were added to the complex. In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling and commitment to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings were rented and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation in 1998, additional buildings were added to the Quadrangle.

Source

Original advertisement: Private Collection of Harry L. Jaeger.

Date Created

1988-06

Date Copyrighted

1988-06

Date Issued

1988-06

Contributor

Jaeger, Harry L.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original advertisement.

Is Part Of

Westinghouse Electric Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

1.47 MB

Medium

1 advertisement

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Westinghouse Power Generation Business Unit, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Siemens and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Jaeger, Harry L.
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"History." Westinghouse Nuclear. http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/About/History.
"Westinghouse Power Generation Booklet." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/6422.

Locations

Categories