Winter Springs Collection

Selected Items in the Winter Springs Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

A Special Christmas for All
A newspaper article published in The Oviedo Voice on January 2, 2003. The article is about the Christmas celebration at the Village Oaks at Tuskawilla Assisted Living Facility, located at 1016 Willa Springs Drive in Winter Springs, Florida. Residents…

First Place 4-H Tropicana Speech Competition Medal
First Place 4-H Tropicana Speech Competition Medal won by Sarah Thorncroft of Indian Trail Middle School, located at 415 Tuskawilla Road in Winter Springs, Florida, in 2002. The contest has been sponsored by Florida 4-H, a youth organization focusing…

First Place 4-H Tropicana Speech Competition Classroom Award
First Place 4-H Tropicana Speech Competition Classroom Award won by Sarah Thorncroft of Indian Trail Middle School, located at 415 Tuskawilla Road in Winter Springs, Florida, in 2002. The contest has been sponsored by Florida 4-H, a youth…

St. Stephen's Catholic Church, 2005
St. Stephen's Catholic Church, located at 575 Tuskawilla Road in Winter Springs, Florida, in 2005. On December 5, 1984, Bishop Thomas Joseph Grady (1914-2002) approved the establishment of a Catholic community to serve eastern Seminole County.…

Christmas at St. Stephen's Catholic Church, 1989
Christmas ceremonies at St. Stephen's Catholic Church, located at 575 Tuskawilla Road in Winter Springs, Florida, in 1989. On December 5, 1984, Bishop Thomas Joseph Grady (1914-2002) approved the establishment of a Catholic community to serve eastern…

Dublin Core

Title

Winter Springs Collection

Alternative Title

Winter Springs Collection

Subject

Winter Springs (Fla).

Description

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Winter Springs, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

The first Euro-American individual own land in present-day Winter Springs was Moses Levy of New York, who acquired a land grant from the Spanish Crown prior to American acquisition of Florida in 1821. In 1843, Henry Gee and son John Henry Gee acquired part of Levy's grant via Governor Richard Call.However, the courts voided the land grant in 1852 and returned the grant back to Levy, Philip K. Yonge, and other settlers.

The settlement of various wharves in in the area was centered mostly around Lake Jesup. With the establishment of the Lake Jesup Steamboat Company, the present-day Winter Springs area served as a major location for steamboat transportation.

Winter Springs was not incorporated as a town until 1959, when it was originally called North Orlando. In 1962, the city was rechartered as Winter Springs. In 1972, it was incorporated as a city.

Contributor

Cepero, Nancy Lynn

Is Part Of

Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Winter Springs, Florida

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"The History of Winter Springs ." City of Winter Springs. http://www.winterspringsfl.org/assets/General/Documents/HistoryofWinterSprings.pdf.

Collection Tree