Holy Cross Episcopal Church Collection

Selected Items in the Holy Cross Episcopal Church Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Holy Cross Episcopal Church
Postcard of the Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida around 1915. Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The…

Interior View of Holy Cross Episcopal Church
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The photograph was likely taken before the building burned down in November of 1923.

Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford…

Church of the Holy Cross
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1880. Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The church was…

Holy Cross Episcopal Church
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The church was consecrated on…

Church of the Holy Cross Destroyed in Hurricane of 1880
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida after the Hurricane of 1880. On August 29, 1880, a Category 2 hurricane made landfall near Saint Augustine, affecting areas from the Jupiter Inlet to the mouth…

Easter at Holy Cross Episcopal Church
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida during Easter of 1901. Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The church…

Church of the Holy Cross
The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1880. Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The church was…

Dublin Core

Title

Holy Cross Episcopal Church Collection

Alternative Title

Holy Cross Collection

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Churches--Florida
Episcopal Church--Florida

Description

The Holy Cross Episcopal Church, located at 410 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The photograph was likely taken before the building burned down in November of 1923.

Gertrude Dupuy Sanford, the wife of General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891), established the Holy Cross Episcopal Church in 1873. The church was consecrated on April 20, 1873, and became the first Episcopal mission in Central Florida. The original Holy Cross was designed by famed architect Richard Upjohn in the Carpenter Gothic architectural style. During the summer of 1880, the original Holy Cross was destroyed by a hurricane.

Following the destruction of the original Holy Cross, Henry and Gertrude Sanford raised money for the construction of a second church. The second Holy Cross Church was completed in 1880, but was destroyed by a fire in 1923. The third church built on the site following the destruction of the second was designed by Elton Moughton, a local architect, and completed in 1924. The third Holy Cross church was built in the “pre-depression” Spanish Mediterranean style.

Contributor

Is Part Of

Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Collection, Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Holy Cross Episcopal Church, Sanford, Florida

Provenance

Entire Chase Collection is comprised of four separate accessions from various donors, including Cecilia Johnson, the granddaughter of Joshua Coffin Chase and the children of Randall Chase.

Rights Holder

The displayed collection is housed at Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Rights to this item belong to the said institution, and therefore inquiries about the item should be directed there. RICHES of Central Florida has obtained permission from Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida to display this item for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Digital Collections (UFDC), University of Florida

Curator

Cepero, Laura
Marra, Katherine

Digital Collection

Source Repository

University of Florida, Special and Area Studies Collections

External Reference

"Holy Cross Episcopal Church est. 1873." Holy Cross Episcopal Church. http://www.sanfordholycrossepiscopal.com/history.html
Sanford Historical Society, Inc. Sanford. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.

Collection Tree