Sanford Collection

Selected Items in the Sanford Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Steamship Osceola
Steamship Osceola along the St. Johns River near Sanford, Florida in the early 1900s. Osceola was built in 1913 at Jacksonville's Merill Stevens Shipyard for the Clyde Line Steamboat Company. The ship was captained by T.W. Lund and ran between…

Back of Steamship Osceola
Backside of Steamship Osceola, which was built in 1913 at Jacksonville's Merill Stevens Shipyard for the Clyde Line Steamboat Company. The ship was captained by T.W. Lund and ran between Jacksonville and Sanford (a 140 mile trip) and could carry 60…

Live Oaks Along Mellonville Avenue
Live oak trees along Mellonville Avenue in the early 1900s. In 1836, the United States Army built a road (present-day Mellonville Avenue) to a location called Camp Monroe during the Second Seminole War. One year later, a group of Seminoles attacked…

Palmetto Avenue and First Street
When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, Florida, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were given names of native Florida trees, while streets running parallel to the lake…

First Street Between Palmetto Avenue and Magnolia Avenue
First Street between Palmetto Avenue and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were…

Sanford House Hotel Park
The Sanford Hotel House Park in Sanford, Florida in 1880. The Sanford House Hotel was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of attracting tourists and providing housing for would-be wealthy settlers to the city of Sanford. The Sanford…

First Street and Park Avenue
The intersection of First Street and Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were given names…

Old Fort Reid Building
Former building at First Street and Magnolia Avenue prior to the construction of the N.P. Yowell and Garner Woodruff Buildings. The building was named after Fort Reid, which was established by Colonel William Harney on July 7, 1840. Colonel Harney…

Sanford After Great Fire of 1887
Sanford, Florida after the Great Fire of 1887. On September 27, 1887, "The Big Fire" burned and damaged the majority of the east side of Sanford. The fire began at Altree's Bakery on First Street and quickly spread through the wooden buildings in…

Sanford After Great Fire
Sanford, Florida after the Great Fire of 1887. On September 27, 1887, "The Big Fire" burned and damaged the majority of the east side of Sanford. The fire began at Altree's Bakery on First Street and quickly spread through the wooden buildings in…

Intersection at Second Street and Oak Street
The intersection of Second Street and Oak Street in Sanford, Florida in 1884. When General Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were given…

Sanford House Hotel Park
The Sanford House Hotel Park, adjoining the Sanford House Hotel, overlooked the waterfront of Lake Monroe at Commercial Street and Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1934. The hotel was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of…

Dock in Sanford
A dock in Sanford, Florida in 1934. Sanford's location on the shore of Lake Monroe played a significant role in the growth of the city as a commercial hub. Lake Monroe is a part of the St. Johns River which served as a commercial highway through…

Burning $1,572,650 Worth of Cancelled Bonds
The burning of canceled bonds from Mayor Forrest Lake's (1869-1939) on January 5, 1932. Before this scandal surfaced, Lake was considered an accomplished politician, who was elected eleven times, and helped create Seminole County. However, the pace…

First Street Looking West from Sanford Avenue on the 4th of July
In 1870, a lawyer from Connecticut by the name of Henry Sanford purchased 12,548 acres of open land west of Mellonville. His vision was to make this new land a major port city, both railway and by water. Sitting on Lake Monroe, and the head of the…

Looking Southwest from First Street and Palmetto Avenue
Looking southwest from the intersection of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When Henry Shelton Sanford purchased land in central Florida, he developed citrus groves known as the Belair Groves and Experimental…

Steamer Osceola at Dock in Sanford
Steamship Osceola at a dock in Sanford sometime between 1913 and 1928. The steamer was built in 1913 at Jacksonville's Merill Stevens Shipyard for the Clyde Line Steamboat Company. The ship was captained by T.W. Lund and ran between Jacksonville and…

Fourth of July Celebration Along Commercial Street in Sanford
Fourth of July celebrations along Commercial Street in 1886. The large building on the right is the Sanford House Hotel, which was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of attracting tourists and providing housing for would-be wealthy…

Truck at Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford
Chase & Company packing house in Sanford in 1936. CChase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities and fertilizer sales. Chase &…

Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford Before Fire
The interior of the Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford before it was destroyed by fire. The building was rebuilt in 1908. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold…

Chase & Company Sanford Packing House Before Fire
The Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford, Florida before being destroyed by fire. The building was rebuilt in 1908. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and…

Chase & Company Picnic
Workers bathing at a Chase & Company picnic on March 3, 1936 in Sanford, Florida. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities…

Chase & Company Building Near Railroad
The Chase & Company building near the railroad in Sanford, Florida, on March 3, 1936. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage…

Chase & Company Packing House
The Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford, Florida, in 1936. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities and…

Chase & Company Sales Department
The Sales Department staff at Chase & Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, around 1910. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold…

Chase & Company Staff with Sydney Octavius Chase
Postcard showing the Chase & Company staff at the Sanford office, located at 110 West First Street, in 1918. Photographed from left to right is bookkeeper Wess Hayden, stenographer Segros Velelen "Wes Huetes," stenographer Mrs. Cox, business…

Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase at the Chase & Company Office in Sanford
Brothers and business partner Joshua Coffin Chase and Sydney Octavius Chase in front of the Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, in 1895. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by the Chase brothers. The company sold…

James Edmundson Ingraham House
The James Edmundson Ingraham House, located at South Sanford Avenue in Sanford, Florida. James Edmundson Ingraham was born and raised in Racine, Wisconsin, and is historically known as an entrepreneur and railroad company executive. In 1874, he moved…

President Calvin Coolidge Visits Sanford
President Calvin Coolidge receiving citrus fruit while visiting Sanford, Florida, in 1929. Sydney Octavius Chase, co-owner of Chase & Company, is photographed on the right, wearing a light suit.Chase & Company was established in 1884 by…

Letter from Joshua Coffin Chase to Sydney Octavius Chase (December 7, 1921)
An original letter of correspondence between brothers and business partners Joshua Coffin Chase and Sydney Octavius Chase. Topics discussed in the letter include copies of letters between Sydney, Cary D. Landis, and S. V. Stephens; a copy of Sydney's…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Joshua Coffin Chase (December 6, 1921)
An original letter of correspondence between brothers and business partners Joshua Coffin Chase and Sydney Octavius Chase. Topics discussed in the letter include a copy of a letter to Cary D. Landis in regards to the Brevard County Road, a copy of a…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Cary D. Landis, Esq. (December 6, 1921)
An original letter of correspondence between Sydney Octavious Chase and Cary D. Landis, Esq. Topics discussed in the letter include a Ku Klux Klan demonstration in Sanford, rumors that the H. R. Stevens campaign was mobilizing African-American…

Letter from Joshua Coffin Chase to Sydney Octavius Chase (January 5, 1923)
An original letter of correspondence between brothers and business partners Joshua Coffin Chase and Sydney Octavius Chase. Topics discussed in the letter include a paving bond for property in Sanford and the offer made by B. H. Barnett.

Chase &…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Joshua Coffin Chase (August 26, 1927)
An original letter of correspondence between brothers and business partners Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. Topics discussed in the letter include city bonds held by the Chase National Bank, securing the services of a legal firm in New…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Joshua Coffin Chase (August 29, 1927)
An original letter of correspondence between brothers and business partners Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. Topics discussed in the letter include deciding what attorney to use in Sanford and Ernest Amos' neglect of duty in his failure…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Lucian Boggs (August 29, 1927)
An original letter of correspondence between Sydney Octavius Chase and Lucian Boggs of Barnett National Bank. Topics discussed in the letter include arranging to have Boggs handle some legal matters for the City of Sanford after he visit Sanford and…

Letter from Sydney Octavius Chase to Landis, Fish & Hull (March 9, 1915)
An original letter of correspondence between Sydney Octavius Chase and Landis, Fish & Hull. Topics discussed in the letter include the County Commissioners' meeting on March 8th, George A. DeCottes' legal advice, and disagreements about how to fund…

Ku Klux Klan 120 Parades Sanford By Night
A newspaper article about a Ku Klux Klan (KKK) parade in Sanford, Florida, on December 5, 1921. The KKK was first organized by ex-Confederate soldiers in in Tennessee in 1866, but was disbanded by the first Imperial Wizard Nathan Bedford Forrest…

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford Collection

Alternative Title

Sanford Collection

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Chase and Company (Sanford, Fla.)

Description

Select images, correspondence, and other records from the Chase Collection (MS 14) at Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. According to the biographical sketch in the collection's finding aid:

"The story of the Chases in Florida began in 1878 when Sydney Octavius Chase (1860-1941), having read about orange groves in Scribner's Magazine, came to Florida from Philadelphia. His brother, Joshua Coffin Chase (1858-1948), joined him in 1884 and together they formed Chase and Company that year. The Chase brothers came to Florida at the right time for Florida citrus and at the right time for them as investment entrepreneurs. Strong family ties in the North provided them with financial backing for their ventures. Joshua left Florida in 1895 to work in the California citrus industry. He returned to Florida in 1904 and rejoined his brother. Another brother, Randall, remained in Philadelphia and augmented his brothers' finances when convenient. Sydney and Joshua were also important civic leaders who took part in community development, most notably in the City of Sanford. Both were elected to the Sanford city commission. They also supported the development of Rollins College, worked with the Florida Historical Society, and were the benefactors of numerous charities.

Chase and Company began as an insurance company and branched out to storage facilities and fertilizer sales. The latter was the beginning of the company's lucrative agricultural supply division which remained in operation throughout the existence of the company. Although citrus was the primary interest, the company also invested in other agricultural pursuits including celery in central Florida, tung oil production in Jefferson County, and winter vegetables and sugar cane in the Lake Okeechobee muck lands. The company was also involved in the peach business in Georgia and North Carolina. The company was incorporated in 1914, with the Chase brothers owning 75 percent of the stock, and reincorporated in 1948. A second generation of Chases began its involvement in the family operations when Sydney O. Chase, Jr. ( b. 1890) became a citrus buyer in 1922. He was later joined by his brother Randall who served as president of Chase and Company from 1948-1965. Outside the Chase Family, Alfred Foster, W. R. Harney, and William "Billy" Leffler figured prominently as company executives and investors. The company dissolved in 1979 when its principal assets were sold to Sunniland for $5.5 million.

The Chases' interest in citrus began when Sydney came to Florida and became associated with General Henry S. Sanford. The Chases would eventually own General Sanford's experimental farm, Belair, and the Chase family home in Sanford was located there. Over the years, the Chases invested in a number of citrus groves and owned others outright. In 1912, they organized the Chase Investment Company as a holding company for their farms. Initially, the company operated the Isleworth, Nocatee, Belair, and Kelly citrus groves as well as celery farms in Sanford. The company was renamed Chase Groves, Inc. in 1951. From time to time, Chase Investment was involved in real estate in Florida and North Carolina. The latter included Fort Caswell, a former military property that was held for a time and then sold. Unquestionably, the jewel in the Chase crown was the Isleworth grove at Windermere. Isleworth's four hundred lake-tempered acres carried the Chases through many difficult times. It proved to be the principal asset at the company's demise when it was sold to golf legend Arnold Palmer in 1984. Chase Groves dissolved that same year, 100 years after the founding of Chase and Company."

Contributor

Has Part

Holy Cross Episcopal Church Collection, Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Sanford Country Club and Golf Course Collection, Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Part Of

Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Holy Cross Episcopal Church, Sanford, Florida
Sanford Country Club and Golf Course, Sanford, Florida

Provenance

Entire Chase Collection is comprised of four separate accessions from various donors, including Cecilia Johnson, the granddaughter of Joshua Coffin Chase and the children of Randall Chase.

Rights Holder

The displayed collection is housed at Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Rights to this item belong to the said institution, and therefore inquiries about the item should be directed there. RICHES of Central Florida has obtained permission from Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida to display this item for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Digital Collections (UFDC), University of Florida

Curator

Cepero, Laura
Marra, Katherine

Digital Collection

Source Repository

University of Florida, Special and Area Studies Collections

External Reference

Warner, S.C. "Development of Marketing Citrus Fruits in Florida." Florida State Horticultural Society vol. 36 (1923): 198-200.
Hopkins, James T. Fifty Years of Citrus, the Florida Citrus Exchange: 1909-1959. Gainesville, Florida: University of Florida Press: 1960.
"Sydney Chase Sr. (1860-1941)." Florida Citrus Hall of Fame. Copyright 2012. http://floridacitrushalloffame.com/index.php/inductees/inductee-name/?ref_cID=89&bID=0&dd_asId=600.
"Franklin Chase, 'Towering Figure in Citrus Industry.'" The Orlando Sentinel, September 30, 1986. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-09-30/news/0260060057_1_chase-isleworth-golf-florida-citrus.

Collection Tree