Farmers' Market Bids Open Today

Dublin Core

Title

Farmers' Market Bids Open Today

Alternative Title

Farmers' Market Bids Open Today

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Farmers' markets--Florida
Federal Emergency Relief Administration (U.S.)
Construction
Competitive bidding

Description

Newspaper article on three construction companies' contract bids to rebuild the Sanford State Farmers' Market after it was destroyed by fire in 1957. Bids ranged from approximately $209,000 to $214,000.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Source

Microfilm of original newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Bids Open Today": State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1957-06-07

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1957-06-07

Date Issued

ca. 1957-06-07

Has Format

Original newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Bids Open Today."

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of microfilm copy of newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Bids Open Today."

Is Part Of

State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

301 KB

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.800733, -81.273112

Temporal Coverage

1957-06-07/1957-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Museum of Seminole County History and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.

External Reference Title

<a href="http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232" target="_blank">&nbsp;</a>

Transcript

Farmers' Market Bids Open Today
WINTER HAVEN--Bids from three construction firms were opened today for building a new farmers' market at Sanford to replace the structure which burned down earlier this year.
L. H. Lewis, director of sate farmers' markets, said at headquarters here that the bids were so close they will have to be examined carefully before it is determined which will be accepted.
The bids came from the Arnold Construction Co. of Fort Pierce, Gregg, Gibson and Gregg of Leesburg, and the Mann Construction Co. of Orlando. They ranged from a low of $209,887 from the Leesburg firm to a high of $213,973 from Mann.
The bids were for construction of a steel and concrete type building 80 by 480 feet. There were also alternate bids for a "triple-A" type building.
Lewis named an "examination and interview" committee to study the bids and talk with officials of the three firms. The committee will be composed of himself, Tom C. Skinner, executive[?] agricultural engineer at he University of Florida, and Frank G. George, consulting architect for the project.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories