Farmers' Market Aide Retires

Dublin Core

Title

Farmers' Market Aide Retires

Alternative Title

Farmers' Market Aide Retires

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Farmers' markets--Florida

Description

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the retirement of Edith Dutton in 1968, secretary to the manager of the Sanford State Farmers' Market, after 28 years of service.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Source

Microfilm of original newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Aide Retires." The Sanford Herald, September 4, 1968: State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Date Created

ca. 1968-09-04

Date Copyrighted

1968-09-04

Date Issued

1968-09-04

Has Format

Original newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Aide Retires." The Sanford Herald, September 4, 1968.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of microfilm copy of newspaper article: "Farmers' Market Aide Retires." The Sanford Herald, September 4, 1968.

Is Part Of

The Sanford Herald, September 4, 1968.
State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

The Sanford Herald, September 4, 1968, page 8A.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

560 KB

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida
Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.800733, -81.273112
28.797421, -81.270006

Temporal Coverage

1943-01-01/1968-09-04

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Provenance

Originally owned by The Sanford Herald.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Sanford Herald and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.

Transcript

Farmers' Market Aide Retires

First rest and back to work in civic activities and "all the other things I've wanted to do and couldn't over the past many years" are on the agenda for Mrs. Edith M. Dutton, who is retiring after 28 years service as secretary to Leo Butner, manager of the Sanford Farmer's Market.
Mrs. Dutton was recognized for services to agriculture and awarded her 25 year pin three years ago this coming December at the annual statewide conference.
Residing at 213 West 16th Street, she has two daughters, Mrs. Laurelle Inge of Miami and Mrs. June Wilkins of Sanford and three grandchildren, Susan Inge of Miami and Billy and Cynthia Lynn Wilkins of Sanford. Both of Mrs. Dutton's daughters are graduates of Seminole High School and Mrs. Wilkins is a registered nurse and employed at Seminole Memorial Hospital.
Most memorable during Mrs. Dutton's service at the Farmers' Market is when the old building north of the present facility burned to the ground on Apr. 4, 1957. The new building was erected almost immediately and dedicated in October of the same year.
Only two commissioners of agriculture were in office during her long service, Nathan Mayo and the present one, Doyle Connor.
Mrs. Dutton plans in 1970 "Be the Lord willing" to go to Kansas and attend the 50th year alumni celebration at Seneca High School.

EDIT DUTTON

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories