Celery Capital

Dublin Core

Title

Celery Capital

Alternative Title

Celery Capital

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Farmers' markets--Florida
Seminole County (Fla.)
Longwood (Fla.)
Celery industry

Description

Newspaper article in the Florida Grower on the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1940. The article also discusses other features of Central Florida.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry M. Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Creator

Dawson, C. R.

Source

Photocopy of original newspaper article: "Celery Capital." Florida Grower, May 1940, pages 6 and 12: State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

American Fruit Grower Publishing Company

Date Created

ca. 1940-05

Date Copyrighted

1940-05

Date Issued

1940-05

Has Format

Original newspaper article: "Celery Capital." Florida Grower, May 1940, pages 6 and 12.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of photocopied newspaper article: "Celery Capital." Florida Grower, May 1940, pages 6 and 12..

Is Part Of

Florida Grower, May 1940.
State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

875 KB

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida
Seminole Big Tree Park, Longwood, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.799832, -81.27338
28.720802, -81.331345

Temporal Coverage

1934-12-18/1940-05-31
1800-01-01/1940-05-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by C. R. Dawson and published by Florida Grower.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Florida Grower and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.
"City Donates 20-Acre Tract for Market." The Sanford Herald, June 20, 1934.

Transcript

Pioneer Farmers' Market

Seminole county is the cradle, so to speak, of the Florida State Farmers' Market system. The first of these markets operated in Florida was opened at Sanford with official dedication on December 18, 1934. Its successful operation in showing an increase of business every year since its opening is largely responsible for the network of farmers' markets wither already operating or now under construction throughout the state. This system is said to be the greatest advancement for the betterment of farmers and agricultural marketing during modern times. The Florida system is being studied and adapted to varying conditions by agricultural departments of many other states. And the Sanford market is almost constantly visited by officials and delegations interested in market developments in their own sections.
The Sanford market occupies 20 acres of land and has a shed 618 feet long. This shed is the concentration point for vegetable production not only from this bur several adjoining counties. Practically every county south of Seminole is represented on our market map as having sent produce by truck for marketing on the Sanford platform.
At this state owned and operated market approximate gross sales of Florida products for the fiscal year closing June 30, 1939 are reported as $534,473.93. Out of state products handled amounting to $92,591.88 brought total volume of business of the market for the year to $627,065.81. The Farmers' market did $166,000 business in March of this year, a real achievement considering the damage done to Florida crops by the freeze of last January. An active Market Master, employed to operate the Farmers' market is aided by a supervising committee of nine local men, who are appointed by the State Marketing board.
A number of wholesale concerns have located in Sanford because of its advantages as a distributing center with transportation by water available. Sanford is one of the few interior cities of Florida having both rail and water transportation. Freight service is operated on the St. Johns river by the St. Johns River lines, which maintain a daily schedule. The county is served by the Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line rail-

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories