Sanford State Farmer's Market

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford State Farmer's Market

Alternative Title

Sanford State Farmers' Market

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Farmers' markets--Florida
Buildings--Florida

Description

The Sanford State Farmers' Market in the 1930s. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry M. Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Source

Print reproduction of original black and white photograph: Greater Sanford Chamber of Commerce, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1930s

Date Copyrighted

2000

Has Format

Original black and white photograph.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of reprinted black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Carlson, Charlie. When Celery Was King: The Story of Celery Grower Carl Carlson. Sanford, Fla: Sanford Historical Society, 2000, page 21.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

596 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.799832, -81.27338

Temporal Coverage

1934-12-18/1939-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally publshed by the Sanford Historical Society, Inc.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Greater Sanford Chamber of Commerce and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Carlson, Charlie. When Celery Was King: The Story of Celery Grower Carl Carlson. Sanford, Fla: Sanford Historical Society, 2000.
"City Donates 20-Acre Tract for Market." The Sanford Herald, June 20, 1934.

Transcript

THE SANFORD STATE FARMER'S MARKET
Built in 1934 on city donated land, at 1300 S. French Avenue, it was the first of its kind in the Country and the inspiration of Nathan Mayo, Commissioner of Agriculture.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories