The Farmers' Market

Dublin Core

Title

The Farmers' Market

Alternative Title

The Farmers' Market

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Farmers' markets--Florida
Construction

Description

Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the fitting ceremonies of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The Sanford State Farmers' Market, located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry M. Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Source

Photocopy of original newspaper article: "The Farmers' Market." The Sanford Herald, December, 18, 1934: State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Date Created

ca. 1934-12-18

Date Copyrighted

1934-12-18

Date Issued

1934-12-18

Has Format

Original newspaper article: "The Farmers' Market." The Sanford Herald, December, 18, 1934.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of photocopied newspaper article: "The Farmers' Market." The Sanford Herald, December, 18, 1934.

Is Part Of

The Sanford Herald, December, 18, 1934.
State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

239 KB

Medium

1 newspaper article

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.799832, -81.27338

Temporal Coverage

1934-12-18/1934-12-18

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Economics Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by The Sanford Herald.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Sanford Herald and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.

Transcript

The Farmers' Market
_______________
In fitting ceremonies today Sanford is dedicating the Farmers' Wholesale Market, the fulfillment of a dream of many years standing among local farmers and other civic minded individuals. It has long realized here that our location is at the heart of the greatest vegetable producing area in the state offered wonderful possibilities for the development of wholesale marketing facilities.
But it was not until the federal government came forward with a plan of paying for the labor costs of such a project and the State Department of Agriculture agreed to supply the necessary materials that a way was found for financing the construction of such a center. Once these financial problems were solved little time was lost in launching the project and bringing it to its present state of development.
While the freeze of last week may delay for a short time the full utilization of the market's facilities, since there were very few vegetables in Central Florida which escaped the frost, nevertheless we feel confident that before many weeks have passed a thriving business will be plainly evident at this market and that before the winter is over it will be recognized as one of Sanford's most substantial institutions.
We can readily visualize the day when farmers from all over Central Florida will bring their produce to Sanford for the purpose of selling it at our market. It will be the only market in this part of the state and practically the only place where farmers can dispose of their products on a wholesale cash and carry basis. We do not expect it to be an advantage to the farmers of the whole Central Florida section as well.
The Herald wishes to take this opportunity of publicly commending those energetic and far-sighted citizens of Sanford whose efforts are so largely responsible for the construction of this marketing center. Theirs is the kind of civic spirit which produces great cities, As their market grows and prospers, Sanford will grow and prosper, and the whole city will owe a debt of gratitude to the fathers of the Farmers' Wholesale Market.

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 newspaper article

Locations

Categories