First Presbyterian Church of Orlando Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

First Presbyterian Church of Orlando Postcard

Alternative Title

First Presbyterian Church Postcard

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Postcards--Florida
Buildings--Florida
Churches--Florida
Presbyterian Church--Florida
Presbyterians--United States

Description

Postcard showing the First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, formerly located at 106 East Church Street. The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando was organized in 1876. Its first pastor was Reverend Henry Keigwin. It first congregated in the Union Free Church as well as a room in the courthouse. From 1884 to 1887,the congregation met in a church on west Central Avenue. When that church was lost in a fire, they chose to move to the east side of town. The church purchased the property bounded by Church Street, Jackson Street, Magnolia Avenue, and Rosalind Avenue in 1889 and still remains there as of 2011. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenters Gothic Style. In 1902, the Congregational Church of Orlando merged with the First Presbyterian Church. In 1912, the sanctuary was enlarged to seat one thousand congregants. A second tower was added at that time as well. In 1914-1915, a major renovation was undertaken that completely changed the look of the building. The congregation added stained glass windows and the church was covered with stucco. It was changed from a traditional Gothic Style to the newer Spanish Colonial Style with white stucco, curved arches instead of Gothic, pointed features, and the original peaked roofs were hidden with the use of curvilinear elements. The stained glass windows, which were designed and made by the Jacoby Art Glass Company of St. Louis, were preserved after the building was demolished in 1958 and are stored in the Heritage Center at the church and in the Meditation Room at Westminster Towers. Murray S. King served as the remodeling architect and Frank Meyers was the contractor.

Source

Original 3.5 x 5.5 inch color postcard: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Date Created

ca. 1910

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1910

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of 3.5 x 5.5 inch original color postcard.

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection, Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

503 KB

Medium

3.5 x 5.5 inch color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

First Presbyterian Church, Orlando, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.539712, -81.376645

Temporal Coverage

1910-01-01/1912-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

This resource is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cook, Thomas

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"First Presbyterian Church of Orlando." First Presbyterian Church of Orlando. http://fpco.org/history.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Transcript

First Presbyterian Church, Orlando, Fla.
THIS SIDE FOR MESSAGES
POST CARD PLACE STAMP HERE

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inch

Locations

Categories