All Souls Catholic Church Historic Chapel, 2011

Dublin Core

Title

All Souls Catholic Church Historic Chapel, 2011

Alternative Title

All Souls Historic Chapel

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Catholic Church--Florida
Churches--Florida

Description

The All Souls Catholic Church, located at 800 South Oak Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. All Souls Catholic Church was founded by Father McFaul in 1882 and is one of the oldest Catholic parishes in Central Florida. The original church building was completed in 1888, under the administration of the first missionary of the Diocese of Saint Augustine, Father Swembergh. The rectangular building was painted white, had four pillars in the front, and a gable roof.

The church was destroyed by fire on January 25, 1932. Various testimonies and gossip surround the fire, offering inaccuracies to the date and cause of the incident. Because the building was destroyed during the Great Depression, parishioners struggled to rebuild the church. Following the fire, mass was held in a neighboring two-story structure built by the residing pastor, Father Patrick J. Bresnahan. Within the span of five years, church members were able to rebuild All Souls Church, and offered the community a larger, more prolific edifice to house church services.

In 1951, the Catholic parish established the All Souls Catholic School, and staffed the academic institution with the first Sisters of Christian Charity to serve the State of Florida. The school was completed on September 7, 1954, and continued to add additional classrooms and activity spaces in 1960 and 1981. As of 2011, All Souls Catholic Church has expanded onto a 63-acre property located at 3280 West First Street.

Creator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Source

Original color digital images by Kathleen MacDonald, July 20, 2011.

Date Created

2011-07-20

Is Part Of

Churches of Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

4.17 MB
5. 14 MB
4.09 MB
3.44 MB
7.5 MB

Medium

5 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

All Souls Catholic Church Historic Chapel, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Kathleen MacDonald and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Curator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"History." All Souls Catholic Church. http://www.allsoulssanford.org/history.
Peters, Kim Marie. "All Souls Catholic Parish History." Orlando Memory. http://orlandomemory.info/memory/organization/all-souls-catholic-parish-history.
Gannon, Michael. The Cross in the Sand: The Early Catholic Church in Florida, 1513-1870. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1965.

Transcript

ALL SOULS CATHOLIC CHURCH

HISTORIC CHAPEL
800 S. Oak Avenue, Sanford, FL 32771

MASS TIMES
Sunday
8:00 am
5:00 pm - Latin

CHURCH
3280 W. 1st Street, Sanford, FL 32771

MASS TIMES
Saturday
5:00 pm

Sunday
Spanish - 8:30 am
10:00 am
11:30 pm

PARISH OFFICE
301 W. 8th Street, Sanford, FL 32771
407-322-3795 allsoulsanford.org

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

5 color digital images

Locations

Categories