Nellie Furen’s Sixth Grade Class at Sanford Grammar School, 1911-1912

Dublin Core

Title

Nellie Furen’s Sixth Grade Class at Sanford Grammar School, 1911-1912

Alternative Title

Furen's 6th Grade Class at Sanford Grammar

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Elementary schools--United States
Grammar schools
Schools
Students--Florida
Sixth grade (Education)--United States

Description

Nellie Furen's sixth grade class standing on the front steps of Sanford Grammar School during the 1911-1912 school year. Photographed from left to right is: front row - Ed Betts, J.D Woodruff, Ed Millen, G.W. Spencer, Ernest Brotherson, Ercel Little, Watson McAlexander, and PeeWee Tillis; second row - Roby Laing, Sherman Moore, Eva Hodges, Olga Vihlen, Maud Miot, Fannie Reba Munson, Virginia Brady, Carl McDonald, and John Morrison; third row: Percy Packard, Beatrice Hutchinson, Clara Bowen, Laura Parker, Ruth Waldron, Fern Ward, Alice Caldwell, and Harold Washburn; fourth row: Howard Wynn, Newton Stenstrom, and Annie Mae Morris; back row: Dennis Allen, Eunice Woodcock, Maud Allen, Guy Stenstrom, Argel Cameron, Rush Murphy, Walter Rowland, Nellie Furen, and Collier Brown.

Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Seminole Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 5 x 7 inch black and white photograph: East Wing Hallway Display, Seminole County Public School Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1911-1912

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 5 x 7 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

East Wing Hallway Display, Seminole County Public School Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

140 KB

Medium

5 x 7 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Grammar School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Public History Center." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.;
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.

Transcript

Front:
1911-1912
Sanford Grammar School Grade 6 Teacher Miss Nellie Furen
Back:
Front Row; L to R: Ed Betts, J.D/Woodruff, Ed Millen, G.W. Spencer, Ernest Brotherson, Ercel Little, Watson McAlexander, PeeWee Tillis
Second row: L to R: Roby Laing, Sherman Moore, Eva Hodges, Olga Vihlen, Maud Miot, Fannie Reba Munson, Virginia Brady, Carl McDonald, John Morrison
Third Row; L to R: Percy Packard, Beatrice Hutchinson, Clara Bowen, Laura Parker, Ruth Waldron, Fern Ward, Alice Caldwell, Harold Washburn
Fourth Row; L to R: Howard Wynn, Newton Stenstrom, Annie Mae Morris
Back Row; L to R: Dennis Allen, Eunice Woodcock, Maud a;;em, Guy Stenstrom, Argel Cameron, Rush Murphy, Walter Rowland, Teacher Miss Furen, Collier Brown

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

5 x 7 inches

Locations

Categories