Hotel Forrest Lake and East First Street

Dublin Core

Title

Hotel Forrest Lake and East First Street

Alternative Title

Hotel Forrest Lake

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Tourism--Florida
Resorts--Florida
Hotels--Florida

Description

View of Hotel Forrest Lake and East 1st Street. Named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, the Forrest Lake Hotel has also been known as the Mayfair Inn and was briefly occupied by the Sanford Naval Academy. In 1916, construction of the building began. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation who later sold it to the New Tribes Mission. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Abstract

Forrest Lake Hotel (Mayfair) located on First Street in Sanford.

Source

Original black and white photograph: Sanford Historical Society, Inc., Sanford, Florida.

Has Format

Photocopy of original black and white photograph: Forrest Lake Hotel Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of photocopied black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Forrest Lake Hotel Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

9,857 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1920-01-01/1929-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.2; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.8.4; SS.4.E.1.1; SS.4.E.1.2; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.2; SS.912.A.1.4; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Museum of Seminole County History and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.

External Reference Title

Transcript

HOTEL

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00087.jpg