West Side View of the Forrest Lake Hotel

Dublin Core

Title

West Side View of the Forrest Lake Hotel

Alternative Title

Forrest Lake Hotel

Subject

Hotels--Florida
Resorts--Florida
Tourism--Florida

Description

The Forrest Lake Hotel from the west side in 1926. Named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, the Forrest Lake Hotel has also been known as the Mayfair Inn and was briefly occupied by the Sanford Naval Academy. In 1916, construction of the building began. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation who later sold it to the New Tribes Mission. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Abstract

Located on the shores of Lake Monroe and facing First Street on the south and the proposed Seminole Boulevard on the north, the new hostelry is erected on one of the most desirable and attractive locations in Sanford.

Source

Original black and white photograph.

Publisher

Date Copyrighted

1926-01-04

Date Issued

1926-01-04

Has Format

Print newspaper reproduction of original black and white photograph: The Sanford Herald, January 4, 1926.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of newspaper reproduction of original black and white photograph: The Sanford Herald, January 4, 1926.

Is Part Of

Forrest Lake Hotel Collection, Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

11,007 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1925-01-01/1926-01-04

Accrual Method

Donation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.7.1; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.A.1.4; SS.912.A.5.4; SS.912.A.5.6; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by The Sanford Herald.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Sanford Herald and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.

External Reference Title

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00093.jpg