Hotel Mayfair

Dublin Core

Title

Hotel Mayfair

Alternative Title

Hotel Mayfair Postcard

Subject

Tourism--Florida
Postcards
Hotels--Florida
Resorts--Florida

Description

Postcard showing the Mayfair Hotel in 1944. Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation who later sold it to the New Tribes Mission. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Creator

Kirchoff, Arthur A.

Source

Original 9 x 14 centinmeter color postcard by Arthur A. Kirchoff: Postcard Collection, call number PC3069, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.

Date Created

1944

Date Copyrighted

1944

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 9 x 14 centimeter color postcard by Arthur A. Kirchoff on the Florida Memory Project: call number PC3069, Postcard Collection, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida.

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection, Florida Photographic Collection, State Library and Archives of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

48 KB

Medium

9 x 14 centimeter color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1944-01-01/1944-12-31

Accrual Method

Deposit

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.7.3; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.A.6.15; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Arthur A. Kirchoff.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the State Library and Archives of Florida, and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
When Winter Comes, Come to Seminole County, Sanford, Florida. Sanford, Florida: Celery City Printing Company, 1936. Digital reproduction of original publication on the Central Florida Memory website, http://digitalcollections.lib.ucf.edu/u?/CFM,119661.

Transcript

HOTEL MAYFAIR, SANFORD, FLORIDA
COPYRIGHTED, ARTHUR A. KIRCHHOFF, 1944

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color postcard

Physical Dimensions

9 x 14 centimeter

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00031.jpg