Admin Inspecting Party Enjoys Luncheon at Lake Golden

Dublin Core

Title

Admin Inspecting Party Enjoys Luncheon at Lake Golden

Alternative Title

Inspection Committee

Subject

Naval air stations
Lakes--Florida
Sanford (Fla.)

Description

Members of a base inspection committee at Lake Golden in Sanford, Florida. Both members of the Sanford community and air base personnel wanted Naval Air Station Sanford to remain active. In 1968, Navy officials moved the bomber squadrons stationed at Naval Air Station Sanford to another facility in Albany, Georgia. The City of Sanford acquired the property where it became known as Orlando-Sanford International Airport.

The Naval Air Station (NAS) Sanford was commissioned on November 3, 1942 as a naval aviation training facility during World War II. The Navy continued to train pilots at NAS Sanford throughout the Korean and Vietnam Wars. NAS Sanford was temporarily decommissioned after World War II in 1946 and then recommissioned as the Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Sanford in 1950 due to the outbreak of the Korean War and the ongoing Cold War. Soon afterward, the station was renamed NAS Sanford and redesignated as a full naval air station. On February 6, 1959, NAS Sanford was dedicated as Ramey Field in honor of Lieutenant Commander Robert W. Ramey. In 1968, due to lack of funding caused by the Vietnam War, Congress directed the closure of NAS Sanford. The City of Sanford assumed authority over the former NAS Sanford facility the year after it closed and renamed it the Sanford Airport, which was managed by Commander J. S. "Red" Cleveland. The airport underwent various name changes over the next several decades: Sanford Regional Airport, Central Florida Regional Airport, Orlando-Sanford Regional Airport, and its current name, Orlando-Sanford International Airport. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, several Naval buildings were demolished and new buildings were constructed.

Creator

Goodwill, PHZ

Source

Original 8.5 x 11 inch black and white photograph by PHZ Goodwill, May 5, 1965: NAS Collection, Book 13, "NAS Sanford, 1957-60, VAH 3, VAH 5," Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1965-05-05

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 8.5 x 11 inch black and white photograph by PHZ Goodwill.

Is Part Of

NAS Collection, Book 13, "NAS Sanford, 1957-60, VAH 3, VAH 5," Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Naval Air Station Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

2,438 KB

Medium

8.5 x 11 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.770781, -81.243995

Temporal Coverage

1965-05-05/1965-05-05

Accrual Method

Donation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.7.3; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.5.G.1.4; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.A.1.4; SS.912.A.6.14; SS.912.A.6.15; SS.912.A.7.10; SS.912.A.7.17; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.G.1.4; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created and owned by

Rights Holder

Official U.S. Navy photograph, not for publication unless officially released. Copyright to this resource is held by the U.S. Navy and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Rock, Adam

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Metzger, Lewis W. From Celery City to Navy Town: The Impact of Naval Air Station Sanford during World War II. MA thesis, University of Central Florida, 2010.
Naval Air Station Sanford Memorial. http://www.nassanfordmemorial.com/home.htm.
Shettle, Jr., M.L. United States Naval Air Stations of World War II. Bowersville, Georgia: Schaertel Publishing Company, 1995.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

8.5 x 11 inch

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00077.jpg