Naval Air Station Sanford Barracks

Dublin Core

Title

Naval Air Station Sanford Barracks

Alternative Title

NAS Sanford Barracks

Subject

Naval air stations
Vietnam War, 1961-1975
Barracks
Student housing
Sanford (Fla.)
Airports--Florida

Description

Student housing at Orlando-Sanford International Airport. This building was originally barracks constructed during the Vietnam War for Navy personnel at Naval Air Station Sanford. The former barracks are now used as student housing for Aerosim Flight Academy students.

The Orlando-Sanford International Airport originally began as the Naval Air Station (NAS) Sanford. The air station was commissioned on November 3, 1942 as a naval aviation training facility during World War II. The Navy continued to train pilots at NAS Sanford throughout the Korean and Vietnam Wars. NAS Sanford was temporarily decommissioned after World War II in 1946 and then recommissioned as the Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Sanford in 1950 due to the outbreak of the Korean War and the ongoing Cold War. Soon afterward, the station was renamed NAS Sanford and redesignated as a full naval air station. Om February 6, 1959, NAS Sanford was dedicated as Ramey Field in honor of Lieutenant Commander Robert W. Ramey. In 1968, due to lack of funding caused by the Vietnam War, Congress directed the closure of NAS Sanford. The City of Sanford assumed authority over the former NAS Sanford facility the year after it closed and renamed it the Sanford Airport, which was managed by Commander J. S. "Red" Cleveland. The airport underwent various name changes over the next several decades: Sanford Regional Airport, Central Florida Regional Airport, Orlando-Sanford Regional Airport, and its current name, Orlando-Sanford International Airport. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, several Naval buildings were demolished and new buildings were constructed.

Creator

Rock, Adam

Source

Original color digital images by Adam Rock, June 6, 2011.

Date Created

2011-06-06

Is Part Of

Naval Air Station Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

3,429 KB
3,664 KB

Medium

2 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.8117, -81.2669

Temporal Coverage

1961-01-01/2011-06-06

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.K.C.2.1; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.1.C.2.1; SS.1.C.2.2; SS.1.C.2.3; SS.1.C.2.4; SS.1.A.2.2; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.2.C.2.2; SS.2.C.2.4; SS.2.C.2.5; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.C.2.1; SS.3.G.1.1; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.C.2.2; SS.4.C.2.3; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.5.C.2.5; SS.5.G.1.4; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.7.C.2.2; SS.7.C.2.3; SS.7.C.4.1; SS.7.C.4.2; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.A.1.4; SS.912.A.6.13; SS.912.A.6.14; SS.912.A.6.15; SS.912.A.7.10; SS.912.A.7.11; SS.912.A.7.17; SS.912.C.2.3; SS.912.C.4.2; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.G.1.4; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Adam Rock and owned by RICHES of Central Florida.

Contributing Project

Curator

Rock, Adam

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Naval Air Station Sanford Memorial. http://www.nassanfordmemorial.com/home.htm.
Shettle, Jr., M.L. United States Naval Air Stations of World War II. Bowersville, Georgia: Schaertel Publishing Company, 1995.
Metzger, Lewis W. From Celery City to Navy Town: The Impact of Naval Air Station Sanford during World War II. MA thesis, University of Central Florida, 2010.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 color digital images

Locations

Categories