Antioch Missionary Baptist Church of Oviedo

Dublin Core

Title

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church of Oviedo

Alternative Title

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
African Americans--Florida
Churches--Florida
Baptists--Florida
Schools
Education--Florida
Segregation--Florida

Description

The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, located at 311 East Broadway Street in Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1875 and 1950. In 1875, members of the African-American community came together to build a small place of worship. Adjacent to the church was a traditional one room "Red School House." By 1913, another room was added due to the increase in students. In the "little room," first through fourth grades were taught, while fifth through eighth grades were taught in the "big room." By 1923, the building had begun to deteriorate and $2,000 were appropriated to renovate. However, plans were made to purchase a building that was formerly used for white students on South Division Street. For 10 years, three teachers taught with little to no resources. By 1950, a number of classrooms were added and the ninth and tenth grades were added to the school. During the 1950s, all of the Oviedo area colored schools were consolidated. A new site was built where the younger grades were held, while the older grades remained at the old site. The school went through a variety of names: Orange Academy, Seminole Academy, Oviedo Junior High School, and Oviedo Elementary School. On December 8, 1961, the Seminole County School Board officially approved the name chosen by students and the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) members: Jackson Heights.

Source

Original black and white photograph: The World Outside Reunion, "A Written and Pictorial History of the Oviedo Area Colored Schools": Judith Smith Publishing: Private Collection of Ida Boston.

Publisher

Judith Smith Publishing

Date Created

ca. 1875-1950

Date Copyrighted

2001

Contributor

The World Outside Reunion
Boston, Ida

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photograph: The World Outside Reunion, "A Written and Pictorial History of the Oviedo Area Colored Schools": Judith Smith Publishing.

Is Part Of

The World Outside Reunion,"A Written and Pictorial History of the Oviedo Area Colored Schools, 1890-1967." RICHES of Central Florida.
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

347 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Judith Smith Publishing.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The World Outside Reunion and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Dossie, Porsha

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Ida Boston

External Reference

The World Outside Reunion."A Written and Pictorial History of the Oviedo Area Colored Schools, 1890-1967." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/5258.
Robison, Jim. Around Oviedo. 2012

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories